Cretaceous NJ ID help (crustacean and tooth/spine)

frankh8147

Hello all!

I have two weird ones I found in Monmouh County New Jersey (Cretaceous). The crustacean is interesting to me because I was initially thinking Hoploparia gabbi however, it is over twice as wide as any other specimen I have found (comparison pictures below). It was suggested that another lobster, Linuparus, could be an option but we really weren't sure. This measures 2.5 inches

The other one measures .75 inches and has one cutting edge and an oval base. What is holding me back from saying Xiphactinus is the fact that it isn't fluted and only has one cutting edge.

Let me know what you think!

Frank

lob1.jpg

lob2.jpg

lob3.jpg

lob4.jpg

lob5.jpg

lob6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Has anyone suggested a crustacean coprolite? Thats what it looks like to me. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hey Frank,

I am not sure for the first specimen. I do get a coprolite feeling from the smaller knob part of the find and @mikeymig seems to feel a similar thing. It looks folded a bit. The whole specimen seems to have that coprolite shine too.

It almost seems a little like this with the fish material replaced with whatever material your find has in it:

Specifically this find:

5f072142b68c5_ScreenShot2020-07-09at10_52_44AM.png.4bda359782fac48d7282f1313b26806a.png

For the second find, I have the inclination that that find may be an Enchodus tooth with a bit of the jaw section it came out of still attached. The 4th photo and second to last photo are the main catalysts for this guess.

: )

Hmmm.... as cool as that would be, I actually prepped it straight out of Wenonah matrix (I should have mentioned that in my original post). It's possible but I've never found a coprolite in matrix..

The second tooth could find a way to be enchodus - the circular root is the only weird part about that one 

The first one is definitely a crustacean and not a coprolite. I can share a couple similar looking ones later today.

Agreed second is Enchodus

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

6 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Hmmm.... as cool as that would be, I actually prepped it straight out of Wenonah matrix (I should have mentioned that in my original post). It's possible but I've never found a coprolite in matrix..

Interesting, that'd be awesome if it is a coprolite and prepped out of Wenonah matrix.

Let's see what other have to say @Darktooth @Jeffrey P @non-remanié @The Jersey Devil @njfossilhunter @Carl

: )

Thanks and yes, I would like to see a similar crustacean.

Per the enchodus ID, I have others that we are leaning towards enchodus on that also have hollow, circular roots so this will be helpful! Once everything opens back up, I will be showing them as a group to some professionals.

I agree with the assessment of Enchodus for the second find.... But the first one is interesting. It kind of looks an amalgam of things as well. Great finds!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

17 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I agree with the assessment of Enchodus for the second find.... But the first one is interesting. It kind of looks an amalgam of things as well. Great finds!

Thank you! Some great crustaceans have come out of these streams so I'm hoping this is another rare one 

Sorry, can't make much out of that possible crustacean. I'm sure it's something interesting though. That's one to show Ralph. And the tooth definitely looks like a fish to me but not Enchodus. Maybe Apateodus?

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to give an update on this post,

I sent the crustacean away to decapod expert Rodney Feldmann and he is convinced this is a rare New jersey lobster, known as Linuparus! It's always exciting to find a species you previously haven't in New jersey!

Thanks to all who helped on this and have a great weekend!

-Frank

• I found this Informative 4