Help needed for preparing fish fossils from Caithness.

James_R_V

Hi everyone,

Have been fossil hunting at Achanarras quarry and I have found what I am sure is an complete Dipterus valenciennesi. The only problem is that it is covered in a thin layer of hard stone. I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with preparing Caithness fish fossils and know what tools are best for the job? 

20200709_191653.jpg

It really depends on the hardness of the enclosing matrix. 

Some shales and limestones will be easily prepped with pin vise, or a scriber. 

Others may require air abrasion, while the hardest may require an air scribe, or some combination of the two. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Taking into account the “hard stone” description, it looks like it would benefit well from a combined attack with a small pneumatic scribe and abrasive. I have no experience with that particular formation but I have tons of experience with hard rock preps. Slow scribe work under a microscope will get you far.

If you need professional help on your side of the pond, @Haravex might be able to take it on. 

• I found this Informative 2

Someone i know that has prepped many from there used acid prep, but it is a very slow proces

Best regards

No matter what you do I would love to see the finished specimen.  and good luck to you.

RB

20 hours ago, Phevo said:

Someone i know that has prepped many from there used acid prep, but it is a very slow proces

Best regards

What kind of acid does he use? Would long exposure to acetic acid work to expose the fossil? 

3 hours ago, James_R_V said:

What kind of acid does he use? Would long exposure to acetic acid work to expose the fossil? 

He just uses normal household vinegar as it is the cheapest and he consumes alot ;P

It is not a process I have used myself, but he applies a barrier to exposed parts of the fish and then applies the acid locally on matrix to remove

I would strongly advice to experiment on throwaway pieces first 

In my opinion, the acid prep is much too complex, particularly if you have no experience. I'd follow Ptychodus and Haravex's advice if I were you.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

you might want to contact Per Ahlberg,who monographed the postcranial material in 1994.

Nigel Trewin died in 2017 

you might like

(About 40Mb)

bull2225errolletinofbritis11brit_0032.jpg

TOc of that issue:

tocdiptebullethhinofbritis11brit_0007.jpg

some good ostracod.trilobite and fish lit,there(the Nybelin is probably out of dat for some of the taxononmy)