Sichuan China - What On Earth Are These

francis

4186874466_cf6678b683_o.jpg

4186114021_6287b3c167_o.jpg

4186874834_d3f4eee36a_o.jpg

4186114391_0c1d401902_o.jpg

We're birders living in Sichuan - but on our travels we often get to see interesting fossils. However these ball like objects have us a bit baffled!!!! Found in NE Sichuan - they vary in size and are easily extracted from sediment that encrusts them. Inside they're brown. Anybody have an idea????

Edited by francis

Has anybody seen similar concreation?

What interested us about these things were that we found them in just one small area - where they were extremely common - all very round and regular - but of varying size. The oval looking specimen looks like two balls pressed together. We've also found compacted clays and stones in similar sediments - but nothing like this.

They look similar to concretions found at Mazon Creek... ...if you are able to break one open... the concretion may contain a fossil. PL

After looking at pictures of Mazon Creek concretions -

My link

mine seem a rather different - far more regular in shape - they're all, nearly perfectly round (both those collected and the many other examples that were seen at the site) - and far softer. They break open easily, no need for a hammer - contain a filling that breaks down into a extremely fine brown powder. It looks like any fossils hiding in these are going to be pretty microscopic.

Thanks for the input - and tips.

Edited by francis

They appear to be concretions, similar to "moqui marbles" but without the siderite component.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've just been looking up Morqui Marbles - and our balls look just like them. It seems a good match - both in appearances and the fact that these things if opened crumble away into powder. I think I can now very safely assume concretion and definitely not fossil.

Its also interesting to note that similar concretions have been found at archeological sites - as both play objects for kids and religious objects - looks like I'm not the first person to be intrigued by these balls.

Thanks again for the help in ID'ing my find - and just to prove we sometimes stumble on real fossils - here's pic of a very fossil rich rock found at a very bracing altitude of 4,000m - just on the very eastern edge of the Tibetan Plateau.

4187297745_da09c04b6a_o.jpg

Now then, tell me about the birding there!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Now then, tell me about the birding there!

I am proud of you man you held it in all the way till post #9.

Picking on Auspex aside I to would like to hear a little more about birding in China.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Well this is a fossil forum - so I'll make compromise - heres another pic from 4,000m - White-browed Rosefinch - but I'm sure if we'd got that rock properly in focus we could have found a fossil or two in there!!!!

The birding is pretty good out here - but come quick before they cover the whole of China in Concrete!!!!!

4188148104_6575da6c62_o.jpg

Thank you!

Aside from a few days in New Zealand this year, I have never birded outside the N. Am. continent :(

Maybe when I retire again...

They look similar to concretions found at Mazon Creek... ...if you are able to break one open... the concretion may contain a fossil. PL

I have also found concretions like those(?) in south of Glendive Montana

Has anybody seen similar concreation?

What interested us about these things were that we found them in just one small area - where they were extremely common - all very round and regular - but of varying size. The oval looking specimen looks like two balls pressed together. We've also found compacted clays and stones in similar sediments - but nothing like this.

Some photo's of the concreatons from south of Glendive MT.

very dense & heavy, not much is known about them

post-310-12610790589684_thumb.jpg post-310-12610790795691_thumb.jpg