Modern Ganges shark teeth (Glyphis gangeticus?)

Dino9876

Hello,

I have another question. It is about the teeth shown below, which I would like to buy. Unfortunately I only have this photo from the seller.
Can these be ganges shark (Glyphis gangeticus) teeth? They are both about 25mm long, the seller does not know the exact origin, but suspects the mainland of South Asia, including India and Bangladesh, where the ganges shark occurs.

Can these be teeth of this species? I have spear tooth shark (Glyphis glyphis) teeth in my collection, which look somewhat similar. It is striking, however, that the lower tooth in particular does not have a typical spear shape as in the teeth of the spear tooth shark. Also the cusps below the cutting edge are not so pronounced in my speartooth shark teeth.

I hope you can help me again.
Thank you in advance and best regards from Germany

s-l1600.jpg

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

Seems right.

Source

D0FC66C9-5B08-4E59-91E6-8B0925629F15.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Seems right.

Source

D0FC66C9-5B08-4E59-91E6-8B0925629F15.jpeg

Thanks for the answer :)
I had seen the same picture too, which has also reinforced my "suspicion" that it is G. gangeticus.

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Those teeth are unusually large for Glyphis but towards the upper end of the size range for the bull shark.  They look like they could pass for bull shark teeth so that's the way I would go.  The bull shark is also known from that area. 

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

Those teeth are unusually large for Glyphis but towards the upper end of the size range for the bull shark.  They look like they could pass for bull shark teeth so that's the way I would go.  The bull shark is also known from that area. 

Thanks for the answer. But look here. These ganges shark teeth are not significantly smaller than mine.

In addition, the lower jaw tooth of a bull shark looks much different without the cusps. I also know that both teeth come from the same animal, so my suspection is a ganges shark :) 

Yes, they are close enough that I would have to agree that they are Glyphis teeth.  Those must have come from an individual perhaps 10-11 feet in length.  I've seen fossil teeth from the Pliocene of Java and they are much smaller.

On American television there is a show called "River Monsters."  It's about a biologist and fisherman who investigates "monsters" and usually finds the real animal behind the myth.  In one episode he was in western Australia trying to find Glyphis in the Fitzroy River, I believe.  I need to watch that again.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

22 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Yes, they are close enough that I would have to agree that they are Glyphis teeth.  Those must have come from an individual perhaps 10-11 feet in length.  I've seen fossil teeth from the Pliocene of Java and they are much smaller.

On American television there is a show called "River Monsters."  It's about a biologist and fisherman who investigates "monsters" and usually finds the real animal behind the myth.  In one episode he was in western Australia trying to find Glyphis in the Fitzroy River, I believe.  I need to watch that again.

Jess

Yes, I watched the episode too, I know what you mean. The shark there was also much smaller and was not a ganges shark ;)

Obtaining a nice spear-shaped fossil Glyphis tooth is on my bucket list. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason