Fossil in Banded Chert

BethyBoo122

This fossil was found near water (Pit One area) in Shasta County, California. It was mostly covered in a hard dirt that took some soaking and a soft tooth brush scrubbing to remove. I could see a tiny bit of the band on the rock through the dirt but nothing else. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. 

I am not sure what this is.... But I do have a guess. Maybe a turtle or small lizard/newt? The underside has what looks like two vertebra or maybe pieces of shell. I am totally out of my element when it comes to bone fossils. With only three toe/finger bones to go on Google wasn't much help. I was a desperate woman so I followed one suggestion for testing fossils.... Offically I am now a rock licker. Lol I hope Fossil Forum can help with my mystery because I'm not licking another fossil toe.

20200711_012148.jpg

20200711_012252.jpg

20200711_011930.jpg

20200711_012148.jpg

Edited by BethyBoo122
Picture quality

We might need some better quality pictures if we are to identify it, I'm not seeing much in this lighting :/

-

I'm not seeing a fossil here in this new image, and instead just the way the chert formed and was later subject to erosional forces.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

They don't exactly shout fossil, but I can't zoom in on the bead like shapes enough to get a good look.

I think photos of it dry would be more useful. 

:fingerscrossed:

35 minutes ago, BethyBoo122 said:

This is the other side. 

The same quality photo of the first side maybe ?

The way the banding seems to carry through the shape uninterrupted here is going to be tough to reconcile with it being a fossil though.