Carcharodon hastalis

BellamyBlake

Hi everyone,

I have here a tooth being sold. The merchant identifies it as Carcharodon hastalis. Based on confirmed photos of Carcharodon hastalis, I have many doubts. My main reasoning is that the angle between the start of the root and the rest of the tooth seems far too steep. Carcharodon hastalis, to me, seems to have rather straight edges; this one appears way too curved. This is why I believe the merchant may have misidentified their tooth.

It's 19 mm long, and supposedly found in Chile. I'd appreciate any confirmation, and apologies as these are the only two photos provided by the merchant.

axJb6Q7.jpg

nrBO8m1.jpg

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Looks like C.hastalis to me. 

Thank you! I'm glad to have some confirmation from someone more experienced with them.

The asymmetry of the root lobes assists in in identifying this tooth.  To me this is more likely an upper lateral Isurus oxyrhinchus tooth.  

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, BellamyBlake said:

Hi everyone,

I have here a tooth being sold. The merchant identifies it as Carcharodon hastalis. Based on confirmed photos of Carcharodon hastalis, I have many doubts. My main reasoning is that the angle between the start of the root and the rest of the tooth seems far too steep. Carcharodon hastalis, to me, seems to have rather straight edges; this one appears way too curved. This is why I believe the merchant may have misidentified their tooth.

It's 19 mm long, and supposedly found in Chile. I'd appreciate any confirmation, and apologies as these are the only two photos provided by the merchant.

Here are a couple photos I took of a 22mm upper lateral I oxyrhinchus tooth for comparison.  It looks to me to be the same position and species as the tooth for sale. 

isurus.JPG

isurus2.JPG

On 7/11/2020 at 1:44 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

Looks like C.hastalis to me. 

Just to check my reasoning, what features of the tooth for sale look like C hastalis to you?