Beach Finds

Cole

This is probably basic stuff for you guys. I have some corals I think, but not sure if they are fossil. A strange rock, a bone and perhaps a peice of petrified wood. The last pic is other Delaware petrified wood I have found for comparison. This new peice seems more quartz like...perhaps just older? Thanks for looking.

Cole~

post-1066-1260891964047_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608919717506_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608919776275_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608919858469_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608919932104_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920003545_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920088901_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920159003_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920218755_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920461355_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12608920532679_thumb.jpg

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

The corals look recent to me, judging from the cavities. Those usually (though not always) infill with the matrix stone. I agree that it is a bone due to the porous interior section and the denser exterior. The quartz would be a chalcedony, at least to my eyes. The pet wood looks like...well, pet wood. :D

Thanks for sharing the pix.

Coming from Cape Henlopen, the coral can't be that recent.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Coming from Cape Henlopen, the coral can't be that recent.

Obviously agree there, caught my first striped bass at the point on Cape Henlopen. I do think the bone is recent however. Looks kind of......."fresh".

Thanks for taking a look guys. I've been seeing peices of this coral on the beaches around here and always wondered where it came from. The grey and white coral seem different to me, any names for these?

Maybe I will head to the C&D canal here on my next two nights off and see if I can find something more interesting for you...I may even head up to Lancaster or Poconos area on the Delaware River.

Appreciate your time,

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Thanks for taking a look guys. I've been seeing peices of this coral on the beaches around here and always wondered where it came from. The grey and white coral seem different to me, any names for these?

Maybe I will head to the C&D canal here on my next two nights off and see if I can find something more interesting for you...I may even head up to Lancaster or Poconos area on the Delaware River.

Appreciate your time,

Cole~

Second pic down on left is piddock holes.

Appreciate your time,

Cole~

If you do head up to the C&D, go to the Reedy Point bridge, take the canal road toward the Del.Bay. You'll see a banked sand road on your left, go up there. Much of the dredgings have been removed but you can still find fossils there.

Thanks flyguy.

I just went to Reedys Point Bridge yesterday. I tried the north east side but the road you mentioned was closed off for hunting season...hunters everywhere in camo. The south east side of the bridge was vacant, so my wife and I had a look around there. We were there about 2 hours and didnt find anything other then oyster shells. I am going to keep my ears open for dredging activities as it seems its been years by the look of the material up there. They also do dredging down here around Dewey Beach and I know Rehoboth Beach is in need after that last storm we had...hardly any beach left. I'm Still eager to get up to PA, seems like far better fossil hunting grounds to me.

Thanks guys,

Cole~

Archived