JimB88

Haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I'd show this conularid I found in the Ft. Payne. Its from a black shale member of the Lower Mississippian (Osagean) Ft Payne Chert

conularid_A.thumb.jpg.2e1be53e7b1ac10120f0f68e33d0d62d.jpgconularid_B.thumb.jpg.1373d8919364d8ed67c8876eeafc9ea9.jpg

This is positive and negative of a large flattened individual. If you look along the sides of the fossil, you can see some sections of it have been displaced.

I also want to show this plant impression from the Lower Pennsylvanian Raccoon Mountain Formation. Im not sure if its an impression of a log or a bunch of Cordites leaves.

plant.jpg.095e5ed0a6c865887fe5537ca7f042f8.jpg

let me know what you think it is.

• I found this Informative 9

Very nice conularid! It’s so crisp and well-detailed. The second one looks more like bark/wood to me, but it’s hard to tell exactly.

• I found this Informative 1

Great conulariid! Glad to see you're posting again. I don't think we've interacted before but I've really enjoyed some of your older Mississippian finds.

Great finds Jim!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Very nice conularid! It’s so crisp and well-detailed. The second one looks more like bark/wood to me, but it’s hard to tell exactly.

Thanks, the black shale does a great job at preservation! An impression of a log is what Im thinking too, I know very little about plants Im afraid.

11 hours ago, connorp said:

Great conulariid! Glad to see you're posting again. I don't think we've interacted before but I've really enjoyed some of your older Mississippian finds.

Thank you. Im trying to make time to collect more, but work and the heat are making that difficult. Im hoping to find some vertebrate material in the Fort Payne but so far Ive found nothing definitive.

10 hours ago, Misha said:

Gorgeous Conulariid!

I think so too. It seems it was just starting to fall apart when it was buried.

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great finds Jim!

Thanks Tim! :)

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds.

Love the conulariid. :b_love1:

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Monica said:

That is a gorgeous conulariid - congrats on finding it!

Thanks! Its by far the biggest Ive found as well.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice Conularid. Sorry I can't say anything to your plant fossil.

Thanks Roger! I love this black shale material! Are you and the plant not talking? I understand, it can be a jerk at times....:P:heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 2

I love conularids and that's a wonderful find! Congratulations Jim. Thanks for posting it. The other piece looks like a bark impression or cast. 

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I love conularids and that's a wonderful find! Congratulations Jim. Thanks for posting it. The other piece looks like a bark impression or cast. 

Me too! The detail in that shale is awesome (though my pics don't do it justice.) There are in fact, little "beads" along each of the ridges on the positive.

2 hours ago, Emthegem said:

That conulariid is absolutely stunning! :envy:

Its my best to date; though Im hoping to find a more complete specimen from that particular member of the Ft. Payne.

Awesome conularid. The odds of cordaites leaves ending up so near perfectly parallel to each other and staying that way during preservation are quite low. I'm voting for wood imprint.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Awesome conularid. The odds of cordaites leaves ending up so near perfectly parallel to each other and staying that way during preservation are quite low. I'm voting for wood imprint.

Thanks, and I agree with wood impression

Just now, Nimravis said:

Great find- congrats.

Thanks!

Very gorgeous specimen of a conulariid! :wub: