Devonian ID help please?

Bradley Flynn

So I need help with these two specimens. The triangular fossil is in a grey brittle matrix, the other is in a harder matrix. 

IMG_20200712_165720.jpg

IMG_20200712_165737.jpg

image.png.4964eaca68d5416674ad85629c5504e2.png

Salter, J.W. 1856. Description of Palaeozoic Crustacea and Radiata from South Africa.

Transactions of the Geological Society of London (Series 2) 7(4):215-229  PDF LINK

Informative

Thanks @piranha

I think you got it on the shell fossil. The other one looks like a trilobite hash plate.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

1 hour ago, Bradley Flynn said:

image.png.4964eaca68d5416674ad85629c5504e2.png

Salter, J.W. 1856. Description of Palaeozoic Crustacea and Radiata from South Africa.

Transactions of the Geological Society of London (Series 2) 7(4):215-229  PDF LINK

Informative

Thanks @piranha

When you copied the post the ID was inadvertently omitted: 

Burmeisteria herscheli: rostral plate

Always glad to assist! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

FYI -- Triangles have three sides, not four.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

27 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

FYI -- Triangles have three sides, not four.

FYI: "The rostral plate is triangular, varying from equilateral to distinctly longer (sag.) than wide, and bears a prominent, hooked, beak-like, median spine."

Cooper, M.R. 1982

A Revision of the Devonian (Emsian-Eifelian) Trilobita from the Bokkeveld Group of South Africa.

Annals of the South African Museum, 89(1):1-174  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, I'm having some difficulty seeing this shape as a triangle.

tri.jpg

Mark.

@Mark Kmiecik I agree that the shape is a quadrilateral, in this image. The two shorter sides that meet at the point are elevated and taper slightly up to the point, giving it a quadrilateral look. If I tilt the rock it takes on a more triangular shape. Hope this makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

tri.jpg

"Triangular" is used as a descriptive term meaning it is similar to a triangle...not precisely a triangle.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Obviously this is not an exact triangle, but you're missing the point.  Descriptions of morphological features are not always amenable to perfect geometric comparison.  Accordingly, the formal description is attempting to convey the overall shape is triangular with a "prominent, hooked, beak-like, median spine".  And the OP is certainly on the right track, regardless if the rostral plate does not meet the textbook definition of a triangle.

15 minutes ago, piranha said:

Obviously this is not an exact triangle, but you're missing the point.  Descriptions of morphological features are not always amenable to perfect geometric comparison.

Is there something about the word "quadrilateral" that is difficult to understand? Perhaps Cooper could have been more precise in describing it. Imagine someone who has to rely solely on the description, like a blind person, to understand it's shape. The word triangular would be quite misleading. A pentagon is not a trapezoid with a bent base, and one would not expect it to be described as such. 

Mark.

Since the author described it as "varying", his description was precise regarding the different ways it is found.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

39 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Is there something about the word "quadrilateral" that is difficult to understand? Perhaps Cooper could have been more precise in describing it. Imagine someone who has to rely solely on the description, like a blind person, to understand it's shape. The word triangular would be quite misleading. A pentagon is not a trapezoid with a bent base, and one would not expect it to be described as such. 

Please read more carefully and check the cited reference.  Only the OP used the term 'quadrilateral' in an attempt to clarify its appearance at different viewing angles.

Cooper however, was very clear in his description which I quoted verbatim above:

"The rostral plate is triangular, varying from equilateral to distinctly longer (sag.) than wide, and bears a prominent, hooked, beak-like, median spine."

12 minutes ago, piranha said:

Please read more carefully and check the cited reference.  Only the OP used the term 'quadrilateral' in an attempt to clarify its appearance at different viewing angles.

Cooper however, was very clear in his description which I quoted verbatim above:

"The rostral plate is triangular, varying from equilateral to distinctly longer (sag.) than wide, and bears a prominent, hooked, beak-like, median spine."

So you're saying the OP was sharp enough to notice that it is a quadrilateral but Cooper wasn't. Got it. Why did you make the word "equilateral" bold and underline it? How is the length of the sides relevant to the difference between a triangle and a quadrilateral?

Mark.

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

So you're saying the OP was sharp enough to notice that it is a quadrilateral but Cooper wasn't. Got it.

The OP meant when viewed at an oblique angle it looks quadrilateral.  I am 100% confident that Cooper has the matter well sorted.

I have exhausted all my best efforts to assist with an explanation.  Good luck!

4 minutes ago, piranha said:

The OP meant when viewed at an oblique angle it looks quadrilateral.  I am 100% confident that Cooper has the matter well sorted.

I have exhausted all my best efforts to assist with an explanation.  Good luck!

I wasn't looking for an explanation. I merely made an observation and stated it. Your observation and opinion may vary and I have no issue with that. I fully respect your right to your own. I'm on your side(s). :D

Mark.

After all the back and forth about what triangular means in this context, a recent paper by Rustán et al. 2020 substantiates the formal description of Cooper:

The rostral plate of Burmeisteria herscheli is triangular with a median anteroventral spine-like process. 

And just for good measure ... Salter 1856 to bring it full circle:

"This apiculus is the tubercle upon the hypostome or rostral shield, —the latter being conspicuous in this species as a triangular large plate beneath the front margin (fig. 2)."

Salter, J.W. 1856. Description of Palaeozoic Crustacea and Radiata from South Africa. Transactions of the Geological Society of London (Series 2) 7(4):215-229  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.6f946ee2e88ced2b66216a62e5b0f8d1.png

figures from:

Rustán, J.J., Waisfeld, B.G., Vaccari, N.E. 2020

The Homalonotid Trilobite Burmeisteria Salter, 1865 in the Lower Devonian of Argentina: New Data in the Context of Southwestern Gondwana.

Journal of Paleontology, 94(3):498-512  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1