My find of my lifetime .... almost

butchndad

I was in big brook early Saturday. After the storm Friday the water was higher faster and murkier than usual.  I was walking down stream trying avoid stepping on and tripping in some of the big stones. I avoided a roundish one but noticed some lines on it. Looked again and the lines were not just random. It was 3-6 inches below the waterline and I bent over to look at it more closely. It was a turtle shell. It was bigger than my pan  it looked to be complete. Omg!  I was so excited. Fossil or modern?  I figured modern but was just fine. My concern was that it would have innerds att attached but ok I would clean whatever needed. So I went to gently tip it over to look with my trowel and it MOVED!!! Upstream!!!  Touched it again and it moved against the current a bit faster. It had never dawned on me that it was alive. And so I went on to the usual big brook finds and the memory of my greatest find of my lifetime ... almost

• I found this Informative 19

That's my snapper! Glad to see it is still alive, I haven't seen it this year!!

• I found this Informative 1

I had the same experience in a stream in Virginia.  I just climbed over a downed small tree and saw what I thought was a turtle carapace.  I kept looking at it and just lightly poked at it with my walking stick.  It turned out to be a very large snapping turtle that had somehow wedged itself between a rock and the fallen tree and it wasn't happy at all that I poked at it.  My collecting buddy and I were able to pull the tree to the side enough that it freed itself and slowly moved away.  I was really glad that I didn't reach into the water with my hand.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Great story!

8 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

That's my snapper! Glad to see it is still alive, I haven't seen it this year!!

That’s incredible. You think you see the same one?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

That is FUNNY!  My kids have actually captured (and released) many turtles on out fossil hunts this year on the Potomac and Chesapeake tribs.  That includes a hatchling snapping turtle and a very old diamondback terrapin.  I think 10 different species altogether.  Turtles are so cool!

10 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Great story!

That’s incredible. You think you see the same one?

I would think based on the size stated. That's a shallow stream for a turtle that big;

Yeah, I’ve picked up what I thought were coprolites, but they turned out to be modern.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, New Jersey can grow some big snapping turtles.  The pond in my former development (in South Jersey) had one who was a big as a car tire... and I am talking full size SUV tire, not a donut off a compact car.  One of my neighbors swore he saw it catch and kill (nearly) adult Canadian geese.  Since those geese were a plague on our pond and that snapper was apparently the only thing effective against them, my neighbor swore he would defend that thing by force if necessary if anybody tried to harm it

Great story next let’s hope you find the big one. Could have been worse it you took a hit of that snapper. :D

Ironic follow up is that i posted a piece of bone to be ID'd today and was told that it was likely a turtle fossil.

So in some (very) small way, i found my fossil turtle