Wondering what these fossils are?

xerikaaax

Found these fossils recently and was wondering what fossils they could be two weren't really sure even are fossils

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That last one looks like part of an orthocone nautiloid. Not sure about the first ones though.

I agree, the item in the first picture might also be one that has been squished or damaged

These were found in Jamaica?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I’m pretty sure that’s Kingston, Ontario, Canada. But finding that in Jamaica would be way more unique. 

The second specimen is an orthocone nautiloid as @Ludwigia said above, from an Ordovician exposure. It would be easier to make an identification if there was a scale of measurement. These are steinkerns.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The tags clearly indicate Ontario.

2 hours ago, xerikaaax said:

Found these fossils recently and was wondering what fossils they could be two weren't really sure even are fossils

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

Some pictures with a Loonie for scale

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

Do use a ruler. Almost no one outside of Canada knows what a loonie is. Our science relies on measurement (preferably metric).

Hey @Monica, I think we may have material that is, or is close to, Georgian Bay Fm here. What does our friend Hessin and his book say? I could venture a few guesses, but you are much more familiar with that neck of the woods than I am for non-trilobitic stuff!

• I found this Informative 1

The nautiloid is a Gonioceras, likely Gonioceras anceps.  The way the sutures bend backward at the periphery is diagnostic of the genus.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

FossilDAWG is definitely the expert!

Here's what Hessin (2009) states:

"Gonioceras is a strange cephalopod which had a wide, low, flattened shell like a flounder.  Most paleontologists believe it was a bottom dwelling predator because of its shape.  Internally, it is somewhat similar to Actinoceras but the segments of the siphuncle are greatly shortened lengthwise.  The septa are very close together and curve forward from the siphuncle until they flare out towards the lateral edges of the shell.  This cephalopod is fairly well represented by Gonioceras anceps in the Upper Gull River Formation." (p. 151)

"The Upper Member is equivalent to the Moore Hill Formation of Okulitch (1939).  His type section is the Moore Hill Roadcut about 3 km north of Coboconk.  In this area the member is only about 1.2 m thick and consists of grey, greenish grey, and brownish grey semi-crystalline sublithographic and lithographic limestone in beds 15 to 75 cm thick.  Eastward towards Marmora the member thickens to almost 4 m." (p. 18)

I love nautiloids :wub: - nice find!

• I found this Informative 2

20 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I didn't see the tags. My bad. The only Kingston I was familiar with is in Jamaica.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!