Show Us Your Cambrian/Pre-Cambrian Fossils!

pleecan

During the Cambrian era there was an explosion of living diversities. Show us your Cambrian and Pre Cambrian fossils.

I do not have any Pre Cambrian fossils.... might be plentiful on the East Coast of Nfld. Canada.... or out Western region such as BC.

Trilobite containing Cambrian rocks from Cranbrook BC was purchased on ebay a few yrs ago...

. .... prep rock with air abrasion with baking soda blasting media to reveal trilos. PL

smalltrilo7.jpg

smalltrilo1.jpg

PL, I've got some trilobites this age somewhere but here's my favorite "oldie" from my collection--a before the big explosion polished cross-section of Asperia ashburtonia , a closely packed columnar stromatolite from the Duck Creek Dolomite in Western Australia.

Approximately 2 Billion years old...that's billion with a Capital B!

post-1240-12611108781806_thumb.jpg

I cant comprehend that figure!! Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Thanks for the reply Chris (Plantguy).... interesting fossils...read some where... that columnar stromatolite can also be found in Canada ... a billion is certainly a big number....I even have a hard time visuallizing any thing over a thousand.... very big number! Nice find. PL

Edited by pleecan

interesting Frank...thanks for posting... guess it takes a trained eye to see... If had seen that particular primitive chordate fossil in the field.. probably walk right by with out looking at it.... rock with a bunch of lines drawn on it.... this forum is great beacause it helps train the eye to see and increase success in the field. PL

Edited by pleecan

Hi guys and girls,

Here are a few bugs for your perusal. Latham Shale, Marble Mountains California.

Olenellus clarki or Olenellus gilberti I haven't sat down and really tried to positively identify all of my finds from that area yet. I've included a small brachiopod that I occasionally run across.

Oh, and a shout out to RB .. it makes me smile to think that I found you on another forum starting trouble. Haha ... www.gtlsys.com, you remember that one right? And Roz possibly is here too ??

post-2565-1261259901311_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599132018_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599209456_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599276198_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599613998_thumb.gif

Hi guys and girls,

Here are a few bugs for your perusal. Latham Shale, Marble Mountains California.

Olenellus clarki or Olenellus gilberti I haven't sat down and really tried to positively identify all of my finds from that area yet. I've included a small brachiopod that I occasionally run across.

Oh, and a shout out to RB .. it makes me smile to think that I found you on another forum starting trouble. Haha ... www.gtlsys.com, you remember that one right? And Roz possibly is here too ??

post-2565-1261259901311_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599132018_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599209456_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599276198_thumb.gif

post-2565-12612599613998_thumb.gif

Very nice bugs, Brett. Yes, I remember you. In CA with all the trilos. I see you

are still finding. Glad you found your way here!

Roz

Welcome to the forum!

Great to see you here !! .. and a moderator too. Yes, I've been trying to get out a bit more lately, I'll post more when I get time.

I'm glad I bumped into you guys again it was getting lonely in cyberspace .....

Great to see you here !! .. and a moderator too. Yes, I've been trying to get out a bit more lately, I'll post more when I get time.

I'm glad I bumped into you guys again it was getting lonely in cyberspace .....

You too.. oh, JPC is on here at times.Bobby too and some more

members. (JPC) Don't think he has posted any of his cool

stuff though..Bobby has.

Welcome to the forum!

interesting Frank...thanks for posting... guess it takes a trained eye to see... If had seen that particular primitive chordate fossil in the field.. probably walk right by with out looking at it.... rock with a bunch of lines drawn on it.... this forum is great beacause it helps train the eye to see and increase success in the field. PL

The pity on these is it seems in most cases just the gills are preserved... :blush:

Great Trilos Brett. We rarely see good examples in this part of the country.... :wub:

Be true to the reality you create.

Thanks Frank, there is so much great material on this forum, I know I'm going to learn so much. It helps me to train my eye.

These trilos are nice, it's just the ones about the size of my wallet that keep getting in the way of my chisel that make me want to cry .... It's like fishing I guess .. one of these days my patience and luck will pay off. Haha .. one day.

The pity on these is it seems in most cases just the gills are preserved... :blush:

Great Trilos Brett. We rarely see good examples in this part of the country.... :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

From a UK seller.... Softbodied preservation... 2 Medusoid Jellyfish (Pailiella pateliformis)in quartzite / sandstone matrix Mt. Simon Complex Wisconsin. PL

post-2446-12636892533872_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12636893404059_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

On 2010/1/17 at 8:49 AM, pleecan said:

From a UK seller.... Softbodied preservation... 2 Medusoid Jellyfish (Pailiella pateliformis)in quartzite / sandstone matrix Mt. Simon Complex Wisconsin. PL

small2010_0116jellyfish0001.JPG

small2010_0116jellyfish0012.JPG

Wow!

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

An old thread, but I like the subject! Thought it would be nice if it was revived.

So here is a mid cambrian Eocrinoid from the wheeler shale Utah.

DSCF3282.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.