Hi everyone, 

last Friday I went on a fossil hunting trip in S.C. with palmetto fossil excursions, there was a short hike out to the site, it was a beautiful day with an average temp of 85 degrees!!! 
when we were walking up to the creek area where we were hunting and we found half of what would have been a beautiful 3 1/2 inch meg tooth!!!!
less than 15 minutes after that my brother found a massive blade of a mako, less then 10 feet away from the blade of the mako I found a nearly flawless posterior and several other angustidens including one with insane colors, a worn whale vert, an awesome hemi with beautiful colors, and 3 fused shark verts!!!

after a short lunch break, me and my brother went to a different spot where I found 2
1 1/2 inch Isurus desori teeth and my brother found a angustiden in matrix, a hastalis and the best desori tooth from the trip all within 7 feet of each other!!!!

while our dad was doing the dig tour, he found 2 megs the larger one is a little below the  five inch mark, and the shorter one is around 3 1/2 inches!!!

overall it was an awesome day!!!!!
10F37B40-568B-4D26-A81B-961AF3A242C2.thumb.jpeg.5de8717680ac3cc82f045cc4ad57864d.jpeg

I’ll post pictures of the best finds alone soon.
and there was only one water moccasin spotted!!!

• I found this Informative 13

Sounds like a memorable (and productive) hunting trip. Waiting eagerly to see more of your finds. Did you take any photos during the hunt? It would be nice to see the area that was so nicely productive.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

We didn’t take any pictures, but the tour company took this picture, there might be others, but I’ll have to ask later. Those are all of the finds, besides a couple whale bones not pictured, but we will get close ups.

12 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Nice finds!

Just now, Gizmo said:

Very nice, congrats! :thumbsu:

Thank you! I’m out right now, but then I’ll take better pics! I’ve also been wondering if a string of three shark vertebrae would be a consideration for vertebrate find of the month, the guides said they’d never seen articulated shark vertebrae before, so that just made me wonder, be honest though, I don’t want to put in something if it’s just a common find, that doesn’t have a chance. TIA

And last but not least, one of my favorite non dig tour finds!!!

5CD6B846-250A-4803-B0BD-F153057E5E83.jpeg

6DCCA998-9D94-4E7D-B5A9-31D8BEF8C5A0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

2 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Great finds!  The teeth are awesome and I really like the verts!

Thank you! My favorite tooth that I found was that last angustiden, the colors on that thing are insane, also my brothers near flawless angy, and my dads near 5 incher, are great! How common are the articulated verts? I’ve looked, but I’ve only seen ones from Morocco, and is there any way to find out what type of shark they came from? TIA

9 minutes ago, HemiHunter said:

Those colors are so amazing!  Thanks for the trip report.  Congrats!

Thank you, and my pleasure it’s nice to just enjoy fossil hunting and the fossils, and do the trip report! 

2 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

B9FD59E9-D978-4DBC-B682-4669CC701A8F.thumb.jpeg.aef12948dd9a29710b1ec9dc720a8345.jpeg

How deep is that hole he’s digging? Doesn’t look safe.

Nice trip and great finds by everyone.  Your father did well with that 5" meg he found, color is awesome.

7 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

How deep is that hole he’s digging? Doesn’t look safe.

About 6ft, I wasn’t sure about that before we went but it was hard clay, and there were a top of other holes that hadn’t collapsed, so that made me worry less, I was still a little unsettling, but he’s fine now.

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

fossils of the month..... heck yeah.

Yay! I didnt want to put in a bad common fossil! How common are they?

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice trip and great finds by everyone.  Your father did well with that 5" meg he found, color is awesome.

Thank you! The colors there are beautiful! The colors are stunning! I love the color variety on the dig tour fossils, and the lightning and colors on the teeth from creek tour!!! TIA! 

Is there a way to tell what type of shark they came from?

45 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Is there a way to tell what type of shark they came from?

I'm trying to think who we have here on the forum who knows their shark verts. The shape and placement of the oval holes along the edge should be characteristic to family. You may wish to do a search here on the forum for "shark vertebrae" and see who weighed-in on other ID requests. I'm thinking that @Al Dente, @MarcoSr and @sixgill pete might be a good place to start. Better close-up photos along all sides of the edge might be useful in determining a good ID. Then you can make your entry with the ID down at least to the family level (lamnid or carcharhinid).

Cheers.

-Ken

26 minutes ago, digit said:

I'm trying to think who we have here on the forum who knows their shark verts. The shape and placement of the oval holes along the edge should be characteristic to family. You may wish to do a search here on the forum for "shark vertebrae" and see who weighed-in on other ID requests. I'm thinking that @Al Dente, @MarcoSr and @sixgill pete might be a good place to start. Better close-up photos along all sides of the edge might be useful in determining a good ID. Then you can make your entry with the ID down at least to the family level (lamnid or carcharhinid).

Cheers.

-Ken

Ok, thank you! I’m doing that right now.