Albertosaurus?

musicnfossils

I seen multiple hell creek fm teeth for sale labelled as “Albertosaurus”, though I’m pretty sure I’ve read that the only way to confirm it’s Albertosaurus is for it to be found around the Drumheller area, specifically horseshoe canyon. Is this true, making the teeth simply indeterminate tyrannosaurids or are the fossils of this animal found elsewhere? Thanks. 

Albertosaurus is older than the Hell Creek formation. The only tyrannosaurs you'd find in Hell Creek are Tyrannosaurus rex and Nanotyrannus lancensis.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Correct Albertosaurus is  Synonymous with teeth found in the Horseshoe Canyon formation

Thanks guys. I kindly informed the seller that their teeth are probably not albertosaurus if they came from Hell creek, they weren’t happy about my comments. 

You can post photos them and we might be able to ID them.  Good you got back with seller.  A number of sellers often mislabel these teeth as Albertosaurus just out of sheer ignorance 

12 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

they weren’t happy about my comments. 

An unfortunate, but expected outcome. At least you tried. :s_confused:

Here’s photos they posted to their site and on the post I was commenting on. Hard to tell from these photos.

F9C2ECDE-349F-41B3-9685-5AA1EA7AA784.jpeg

6522F2A5-CF5D-4338-A61D-63887880E365.jpeg

D989950F-0C01-4379-AD12-3B3553BBE3AB.jpeg

C10473D2-1A8A-4396-BDBF-CFEE9F6A18ED.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I'll put money on that these are not from the Hell Creek.    Top one could be Trex if the provenance is accurate.  Most likely Campanian in age.

• I found this Informative 3

@musicnfossils

Please keep the commentary focused on the fossil, not the seller.  Thanks.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Some refer to the judith river tyrannosaur teeth as "Albertosaurus", however as of now Gorgosaurus is its own genus, along with Daspletosaurus being present in the formation. Given that the Hell Creek and Judith River are present in the same state and both possess large tyrannosaur teeth one could make the mistake of mislabeling the formation. Someone could also purchase a tooth tentatively labeled as Albertosaurus from an older collection.

Just throwing out possibilities.