Yet another Mosasaur jaw for scrutiny

Opinions please as to the "original" state of this piece. The seller touts "as found." I have provided the largest image available. Please comment.

mosmaybe2.thumb.JPG.519a6a6efd5a114634c1d4ebfbeeaac9.JPG

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

As found where, the restoration factory.

Not seeing any bone that the teeth are attached to. Probably just a collection of teeth attached to rock with sediment and glue. 

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'm gonna disagree. I think this is more likely to be 100% original, based on just this photo. It does look a bit worse for wear though.

I think this is a slightly damaged pterygoid jaw. The base of the tooth crowns all look good. And there's a coprolite right next to the last tooth. That's not something I'd expect if the tooth was placed there.

No red flags here. Looks okay.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

28 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'm gonna disagree. I think this is more likely to be 100% original, based on just this photo. It does look a bit worse for wear though.

I think this is a slightly damaged pterygoid jaw. The base of the tooth crowns all look good. And there's a coprolite right next to the last tooth. That's not something I'd expect if the tooth was placed there.

No red flags here. Looks okay.

This is a good example of wanting a  better photo or seeing it in person with a lens; I could probably could determine if bone were present in 2 seconds. Looking at it again I can’t convince myself that the teeth are or are not set in a jaw. Are the teeth set in a bone jaw? I think that I see some smooth areas where I would expect to see bone. I do not know if the smooth areas can be faked to look like that (bone?). 

I defer to experts that think this is probably bone even though preservation is poor. I have a hard time seeing where the jaw ends and the matrix begins partly because the colors are similar.

Anyone else have an opinion on the presence or absence of bone? I do like the teeth.

35C3BDE4-B0CF-41C3-9322-D6D261CC1DC9.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I see what you mean. But imo it's just a bit worn. Looks fine otherwise. And the colouration is all correct.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite