Skin molt in amber?

daves64

In one of the pieces of Burmite amber I bought from @holdinghistory recently, I found what I think may be molted skin from something. Reptile, insect or worm, I have no clue. Measures 1 cm long by 5 mm at the widest. Pics 1 - 4 show the texture at 200 x. 5 & 6 show the entire piece at 20 x. Any ideas?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I’m thinking you may be right with a molt. In picture #1 it looks like the eye covering on the right side. But from what I’m not sure. I suspect some kind of worm/leech but I could easily be wrong. He really has some nice stuff doesn’t he? I got a piece of (Suspected) reptile skin in one of mine.

57 minutes ago, Randyw said:

piece of (Suspected) reptile skin

You mean it doesn't look like this ?

Oh, and, worms molt ?

Nope it doesn’t. And it’s not exactly a molt some organisms seem to just have the skin preserved in the amber. I haven’t been able to find out why. Wether the insides rotted out before enclosed in the amber or they just become translucent In the amber or what I couldn’t say. But you’ll find just the outsides of something’s in perfect shape and complete but see through....

• I found this Informative 1

My initial reaction was to think of the foxglove flower that caught my attention the other day.

Pulled one from the vegetable garden before it went to seed. :)

14 hours ago, Randyw said:

An example of a complete but see through specimen 

27087127-E464-4B95-9129-F7259559CAD1.jpeg

I've got one bug that makes this one look mostly opaque, not sure what it is, other than the ghost of a bug. I'll have to organize the pics & post them. Had to get creative to take the pics to show any real detail. :oO:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

• 1 year later...

This looks like a diptera larvae (maggot) to me as well. The little black triangles are denticles and are found in bands on the ventral surface to provide traction to the crawling larvae. I have seen many larvae in burmite and many look deflated as this one. I don't know about all diptera species, but larvae cuticles become the pupae so it probably isn't a molt. Hope this helps a year later.