A couple of visitors from Holland

Ludwigia

Marcel @Everhardus and his wife Josette are spending their holidays in the area right now. I had agreed to show them around and so we spent the day together visiting a couple of sites in the Wutach area. Here they are enjoying keeping their balance on a slope at the Scheffheu.

5f0e2ef5d41de_MarcelJosette.1.thumb.jpg.ec2f49285f52e7819f790f23e9f79d5f.jpg

I was happy that they were able to make a few nice finds and Marcel emailed me today to tell me that they'd had more success at the Callovian site. I unfortunately didn't make any more photos, but maybe they can post something here if he checks in. Meanwhile, I can at least show you the ammonites from the south of France which Marcel graciously gifted me as a thank you and which I managed to get prepped today. They are from the iron-rich Late Toarcian aalensis zone and all belong to the genus Pleydellia sp.

A1581a.thumb.jpg.cd571202e97695f125ddf6f7368d0c4f.jpg

A1585a.thumb.jpg.000debefbfa334167127265429e742af.jpg

A1582a.thumb.jpg.94c78ce7ef50bf23864b220f9fece25c.jpg

A1583a.jpg.5352f71ab59f6583657e8f07e2249e19.jpg

A1584a.jpg.bc537d247650a5d1787015541f6144cb.jpg

A1586.thumb.jpg.8bbea35441e1723cca900c7604bb7be8.jpg

• I found this Informative 20
  • Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 minutes ago, Archie said:

These are gorgeous! Brilliant prep work as always! :D 

That iron sure does make for nice colors.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Nice stuff Roger.

RB

Thanks Ron. I was pleased to recieve some nice things from a place I most probably will never visit.

Why not visit it Roger , water , high temperatures and mosquitoes , ideal conditions !

Pleased to see Marcel and Josette found another landing point for the holidays. BTW they are obviously not afraid of ticks !

2 hours ago, taj said:

Why not visit it Roger , water , high temperatures and mosquitoes , ideal conditions !

Pleased to see Marcel and Josette found another landing point for the holidays. BTW they are obviously not afraid of ticks !

Marcel and Josette complained about the brambles down there. :P I was down in the Provence in the summer of 2004. That was enough for me for starters, but thanks for the invitation. The worst of the tick season here is basically already past, thank goodness.

37 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Marcel and Josette complained about the brambles down there. :P I was down in the Provence in the summer of 2004. That was enough for me for starters, but thanks for the invitation. The worst of the tick season here is basically already past, thank goodness.

Well if you want to visit Lyon area , I can certainly direct you to some spots , but an actual invitation would be closer to your summer playing grounds , in Quebec ! (btw I would gladly exchange any amount of brambles for a tick free area...)

Here’s some pictures to go along with our trip. First of all Roger and myself at Scheffheu hammering away at the Aalenian while trying to keep my balance ( much more steep than you would think ). These blocks are very very hard......

A9BDD056-0C90-4BD5-96A9-CBBE20F7FAA5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, taj said:

Well if you want to visit Lyon area , I can certainly direct you to some spots , but an actual invitation would be closer to your summer playing grounds , in Quebec ! (btw I would gladly exchange any amount of brambles for a tick free area...)

I think I may take you up on that if I get over to Ontario next year (not the ticks, but rather Quebec :)). Thanks!

1 hour ago, Everhardus said:

Here’s some pictures to go along with our trip. First of all Roger and myself at Scheffheu hammering away at the Aalenian while trying to keep my balance ( much more steep than you would think ). These blocks are very very hard......

Now you know that we go through hell here to get a few ammos.

51 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I think I may take you up on that if I get over to Ontario next year (not the ticks, but rather Quebec :)). Thanks!

You're welcome ! I have still to organise some trip down there , ROM , Penn Dixie, Hungry Hollow ... but with the kids and wife , difficult to set up ! Niagara falls might end up in the plan . I toyed with the idea in may of  this year but...In summer we (Montreal club) usually pay visits to our fellows from the EONS in Ottawa , but they got bad news , so it will be an all Quebec thing this year .

1 minute ago, taj said:

You're welcome ! I have still to organise some trip down there , ROM , Penn Dixie, Hungry Hollow ... but with the kids and wife , difficult to set up ! Niagara falls might end up in the plan . I toyed with the idea in may of  this year but...In summer we (Montreal club) usually pay visits to our fellows from the EONS in Ottawa , but they got bad news , so it will be an all Quebec thing this year .

I spent 10 years growing up in St.Laurent & Dollard des Ormeaux, but I didn't know what fossils are back then. Who knows? Maybe we'll meet up at Hungry Hollow next year.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

@Everhardus  Love the photo's.

RB

Thanx, here’s another one for you . This one was found the first day here in the Lower Jurassic, actually the only one on this location.

982FE485-B382-4939-9530-5DD601D6811D.jpeg

2985240A-3008-4A73-AAB8-E111B8295A11.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

@Everhardus Herve just contacted me to tell me that the ammonites from La Verpillière are actually Pleydellia from the Late Toarcian aalensis zone. I've corrected the above post accordingly.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

@Everhardus Herve just contacted me to tell me that the ammonites from La Verpillière are actually Pleydellia from the Late Toarcian aalensis zone. I've corrected the above post accordingly.

I didn’t think about Pleydellia. I guess the main difference is that Leioceras are more smooth and finely ribbed ( for a lack of better words). When i’m back home i’ll send you a pdf on these sites ! 

6 hours ago, Everhardus said:

I didn’t think about Pleydellia. I guess the main difference is that Leioceras are more smooth and finely ribbed ( for a lack of better words). When i’m back home i’ll send you a pdf on these sites ! 

Thanks. Have a good trip back home.

I took Marcel & Josette to the site in the Upper Danube Valley just before they left for home and he just sent me a few photos which I can share now.

IMG_4227.1.thumb.jpg.55e26d3df2c3ed8032ba6e3e5d6207dd.jpg

IMG_4228.1.thumb.jpg.74e6359e6d756754a5b955e05ca9322e.jpg

IMG_4232.1.thumb.jpg.674b4857a246a31cd5c04a0bacdca138.jpg

Marcel didn't send me one of himself, the humble fellow, so I'll just sneak in a shot of him in the Callovian showing off a nice find.

9.1.thumb.jpg.54d2123307de3c72ed02edc7d2db115e.jpg

And here are a few of my Kimmeridgian finds which I've just finished prepping.

A1593a.thumb.jpg.885fc4b12bf7094238087b711d33ad2f.jpg

Aspidoceras binodum. 11cm.

A1591a.thumb.jpg.dadd93577a7d6f7f6c1b9a565b49bfa8.jpg

Taramelliceras (Metahaploceras) nodiosculum. 8cm.

The last two are both Ataxioceras (Parataxioceras) sp. Not sure about the species, although they both appear to be different onesA1590a.thumb.jpg.2b80f930306ac836cefc41077b694549.jpg.

9.5cm.

A1592a.thumb.jpg.2f45979b4c7f532ca04166184a116045.jpg

9cm.

• I found this Informative 3

On one of the last days of our Southern Germany trip Roger agreed to show me a site at the Danube valley. First we met at his house for a cup of coffee and ofcourse i wanted to see his collection and check his workshop. I sort of knew what to expect and sure enough,  what a collection !!

1.JPG

2.JPG

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

I just wanted to post some pictures of the Danube trip but Roger just beat me to it. So all i can say it's been a hell of a trip. Roger has been extremely generous sharing his sites with us. I'm sure i would have found some ammonites in the Wutach valley but most certainly not the quality and quantity i have found at the Callovian site. So thanks again Roger, it was great fun meeting up with you ! Thanks Marcel & Josette

By the way, i a week or so i'll probably find the time to do some prepping. I'll post the results ofcourse....