grahamguti

Hi everyone, fellow Charlestonian here. I've recently got back into shark teeth hunting and have been to a few locations such as behind the YMCA and in those creek branches round there. I am posting here to ask everyone if they have any good locations they would share. I know this community is tight lipped and secretive when it comes to this, but I was hoping there would be a few individuals who didn't mind helping someone actually find some good finds. I get most sites are on private property or the individual has connections to get onto quarries (i.e. Black River Fossils), but I know there are viable locations out there that are not well known too. Thank you.

Darbi

Welcome to TFF!

I'm not familiar with the Charleston area. I heard there's Charleston Fossil Adventures, a guided fossil hunt company in your area, and also Palmetto Paleontological Society. Many paleontological/fossil societies have fossil hunt trips and has an access to the private properties with permission.

grahamguti

Thank you all!

grahamguti

@Fossildude19 Here in the Summerville area and all the way up to Harleyville, they have really cracked down on fossil hunters though. Like with the big cement quarries, they're owned by big corporations who do not want any lawsuits from injuries I bet. And with the abandoned mines, there's no trespassing signs. You're left to park on the side of roads and creek walk. Which isn't that bad.

Kane

Well, with abandoned mines, you can always do some research on who currently owns the property, reach out and ask permission. With quarries, if you have safety equipment, are willing to sign a liability waiver, and agree to observe all safety rules (such as not going near the working equipment or too close to the quarry walls) you can always ask the owner. In either case, the worst they can say is "no." 

grahamguti

@Kane but how would I go about finding the name of the owner when the mines do not have any signs listing their name or number (and no where to be found online either).  Or the quarries are usually owned by an LLC such as Argos or Giant--where one specific owner could not be contacted (probably rich business men in other states). I just feel these giant busy quarries have no room for suing or a death for a person walking near 100' drops. The better question is what happens if you are caught walking on an abandoned mine.

Kane
34 minutes ago, grahamguti said:

@Kane but how would I go about finding the name of the owner when the mines do not have any signs of its name, or is owned by an LLC such as Argos or Giant---whose are probably billionaire owners in other states haha.

Reach out to your municipality which keeps records of every person/entity who owns property in their jurisdiction as that is essential for taxes and land zoning. You can use official maps to determine the lot address and make inquiries from there.

If you are caught trespassing on private property you can be charged.

FranzBernhard
3 hours ago, Kane said:

If you are caught trespassing on private property you can be charged.

@grahamguti: Don´t forget, there is also a chance to be shot while trespassing...

Franz Bernhard

grahamguti

@FranzBernhard you still have to present as a threat. @Kane exactly, so you’re left to public access locations—which have been over hunted. That’s why I’m asking if anyone has any spots they aren’t like “selfish” about, ya know? I’d trade my spots all day. It’s about the love of the hunt. 

grahamguti

@Uncle Siphuncle Thank you! In my experience, fossils are everywhere. It is finding a spot where you are allowed to look for them that I was asking for. There is no such thing as a "fossil hotspot" (except perhaps the obvious and ironic mass death graves)---there are only places that have been hunted less than others. I have also texted real estate brokers to ask them if they would allow me to look for fossils on their property, and most of them all said the same thing "I sold that property years ago".

grahamguti

What is this "over collecting" and when was that labeled as a crime? If you tell someone they can go to your spot, you're saying people should place caps on how much they collect? Is one that insecure of their collecting skills they think someone else can find all the fossils millions of years layed before them?

I'll tell you what's a horror story, making too many rules to remember for an activity about having fun!

grahamguti

Theres your word, exhausted---meaning till he wasn't finding anything worth $...? Perhaps, but finding big $ fossils that is not the point of fossil hunting---it is going out a looking, whether you find any or none, right?

Kane
Just now, grahamguti said:

Theres your word, exhausted---meaning till he wasn't finding anything worth $...? Perhaps, but finding big $ fossils that is not the point of fossil hunting---it is going out a looking, whether you find any or none, right?

Not quite in all cases. A site exposure can be so limited that going through all the available material can be a matter of days, leaving nothing but broken bits. 

grahamguti

Naivety is lack of experience, not knowledge, keep that in mind. And shut down? Over-collected? Sounds like you are in places where you shouldn't be if they can get shut down. And certainly not a good location if it can be over collected. 

But is most certainly about the love of the hunt. It is immature to think it is only worth it if you find something? 

grahamguti

You are right about my statement being illogical, since no site can ever run out of fossils. It would be blasphemous to believe that even in a million years, fossils will still not be at these sites.

Kane
3 minutes ago, grahamguti said:

You are right about my statement being illogical, since no site can ever run out of fossils. It would be blasphemous to believe that even in a million years, fossils will still not be at these sites.

That's not universally true. There are some sites that may only have one fossiliferous horizon, and once that is peeled right back, it's gone.