A few specimens declared "Danekræ"

Thought I would share a few specimens that made it to the National collection in Denmark.

Back in 2017 I found a Cyclaster sp. from a site in northern Jutland primarily known for it's commonly found Echinocorys sulcata.

Out of around 150 primarily fragments found of Cyclaster sp. , roughly 5 were complete and only one fully inflated.

Considering that they go through a rough process - First the material is excavated from the walls using a hydraulic excavator, then the material is spread out on the "floor" of the quarry and turned multiple times to reduce the moisture content, after which it is passed through an ore shoot and finally removed from the tailing's pile to a permanent resting place out of the way.

This mature specimen together with a smaller immature specimen I donated, might be enough to add another species to Cyclaster, based on the "extra" rows of plates on the end near the periproct.

I don't have a picture of the smaller specimen, but made a cast in silicone of it.

5f0f2ed613b0e_DK1023-Cyclasteraff.Suecicus.JPG.df8e813242e24843258d68bacb286bfe.JPG

The next specimen is from a famous fjord called Limfjorden, also in northern Jutland.

It was found along the edges of the shore, moving back and forth in the waves and nearly didn't make it back with me because of how fragmented it looked when I first found it, I took it with me anyway since you never know, and it turned out to be an exceptionally large and well preserved specimen ( usually no bigger than 20mm, this specimen is 35mm).

It is a clam called Cuspidaria precuspidatathe blob was some super glue I hastily applied to stabilize it in the field since I forgot my B72 bottle, not ideal but in a time of need you use what you have ;P

5f0f3001341ec_DK1086-Cuspidariaprecuspidata.thumb.jpg.d377bc333b4900461bd9ded02baa424a.jpg

The first specimen was declared Danekræ in the spring of 2019.

The second speciman was declared Danekræ in the spring of 2020

• I found this Informative 9

Most splendid! 

Congrats, sir, and well played.

Congratulations.gif.57c3f17543e4d4eaf8c0b827b92d0a45.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations on your discoveries!  I learned a new term today.  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Most splendid! 

Congrats, sir, and well played.

Congratulations.gif.57c3f17543e4d4eaf8c0b827b92d0a45.gif

Thank you Tidgy

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Congratulations on your discoveries!  I learned a new term today.  :D

It has a sister term too called Danefæ, used for archeological related finds

5 hours ago, jpc said:

Bravo.  I really like the Danekrae program.  

I think it is a great program aswell, it brings alot of important specimens to the national collection

• I found this Informative 2

I was just trying to look up that term so thanks to John for the link above. So it looks like Danekræ is very similar in nature to our concept of SIS (Scientifically Important Specimens). I'll add this to the list of what I've learned today as well. ;)

If you would, could you please add these Danekræ specimens to our Fossil Contributions to Paleontology Gallery where we keep track of the awesome specimens our members are sharing with museums or universities to further our collective fossil knowledge:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Please follow the format and guidelines below when posting in this topic:

Common or Scientific Name.
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age.
Region the fossil was found.
Museum or University that received the fossil.
A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution. Please include a link to the topic about your fossil (if available).
(attach your fossil photos here)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, digit said:

I was just trying to look up that term so thanks to John for the link above. So it looks like Danekræ is very similar in nature to our concept of SIS (Scientifically Important Specimens). I'll add this to the list of what I've learned today as well. ;)

If you would, could you please add these Danekræ specimens to our Fossil Contributions to Paleontology Gallery where we keep track of the awesome specimens our members are sharing with museums or universities to further our collective fossil knowledge:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Please follow the format and guidelines below when posting in this topic:

Common or Scientific Name.
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age.
Region the fossil was found.
Museum or University that received the fossil.
A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution. Please include a link to the topic about your fossil (if available).
(attach your fossil photos here)

Cheers.

-Ken

It is done

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Congratulations on the exceptional finds!!! :thumbsu:

Thanks Monica