Could this be petrified wood?

Bradley Flynn

I have had this rock with my mineral collection for a while and have always wondered if it could be wood. It has a gold sheen to it, especially when wet. I can't remember where I found it. 

IMG_20200715_191324.jpg

IMG_20200715_191255.jpg

IMG_20200715_191240.jpg

Certainly looks like pet wood to me.  Some really nice coloration on the piece as well.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Bradley Flynn said:

IMG_20200715_191225.jpg IMG_20200715_191212.jpg IMG_20200715_191139.jpg

I'm going to go against the grain (haha..haha...ha...) and say that this isn't petrified wood, for this photo right above me. Given your other posts I assume this is from or around the Devonian marine site? To me this looks like a piece of schist with foliations, that is also displaying quartz/calcite venation. I've collected a decent amount of fossil/petrified wood from the Cretaceous nearer me, and although it isn't uncommon there for pieces of the matrix to cling around the fossil wood, this mineralization almost appears to blend into the host rock, indicating that it was formed via precipitation because of a nearby pluton, metamorphism, or a pre-existing crack.  

• I found this Informative 3

Agreed! thanks:dinothumb: glad I got that out of my system, has been bugging me for some time. 

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

@Bradley Flynn Can you  facet an end ? It sounds like cleavage isn't going to cut it.

Cut and polish one end of it? 

31 minutes ago, EMP said:

I'm going to go against the grain (haha..haha...ha...) and say that this isn't petrified wood, for this photo right above me. Given your other posts I assume this is from or around the Devonian marine site? To me this looks like a piece of schist with foliations, that is also displaying quartz/calcite venation. I've collected a decent amount of fossil/petrified wood from the Cretaceous nearer me, and although it isn't uncommon there for pieces of the matrix to cling around the fossil wood, this mineralization almost appears to blend into the host rock, indicating that it was formed via precipitation because of a nearby pluton, metamorphism, or a pre-existing crack.  

The valley I live in is mesozoic and younger. The other sites I explore are Devonian, and not to far from me. 

Just want clear something up. When I said "I can't remember where I found it" I mean that I don't remember the specific area, strata type. But it was found in the valley where I live.

@grandpa @Familyroadtrip @Rockwood sorry I didn't even see your replies. Thank you! I want it to be wood, but after doing some reading I think metamorphic rock fits. It does have some characteristics of pet wood though:zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Bradley Flynn said:

Cut and polish one end of it? 

10 4

American trucker talk for yes.

In my opinion, that might be a geoligical wonder. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

In my opinion, that might be a geoligical wonder. :)

It probably is. But it will be good exercise anyway.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It probably is. But it will be good exercise anyway.

I agree!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

That wood be my guess

I saw what you did! :ighappy:

Definitely a schist, can't be sure exactly what form. Anyway, it's not a fossil so let's leave it at that.