I've had this specimen sitting in my "I'll get to it later" pile since last year. I've learned a lot about Cephalopods the past year, one of them being the differences between Nautiloids and Ammonoids.

Upon re-inspection of this yesterday, I noticed the shell lines, but more importantly the suture lines caught my eye. These do exist here, but I would call them pretty rare to find. Not being an expert, I would consider Wellerites or Schistoceras, but these are based on quick comparisons using a Pennsylvanian Cephalopods of Ohio book I have. I started to clean up the rock using an air scribe, but I've only got about 30 minutes into it so far.

I need to take much better photos, but the shell exterior is messy like this. You really need to rotate it under light and/or a microscope to see the sutures great.

There is so scale in the photo, but it's 20mm from front to back of the inner exposed whorl. The top of the photo is still more shell continuing on another 9mm and I started to expose more suture pattern there. The top of the exposed whorl has some shell material pattern shown in a black color.

Untitled-1-scaled.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

Yeah, that thing is a real mess. lol

I've never seen the ornamentation on any of the Schistoceratids so that doesn't help me but it is good to know about once we get an ID. Maybe if you could sketch a rough image of the sutures for us that would help.

• I found this Informative 2

39 minutes ago, cngodles said:

Got confirmation from R. Mapes that it is a Schistoceras based on my photos.

Kudos to Royal Mapes; he has consistently replied to questions from us mostly amateurs including me. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.