Mammal tooth ID please

diginupbones

Rhino?RhinoCrop3.thumb.jpg.e3e3d12ab8909f2c29b0ffec47fb0dfd.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I just noticed that my photos didn’t show the contours of this tooth  very well. These may help a little bit. 

56DD92D2-3B91-4831-B9AD-2B6FCE4A3FDE.thumb.jpeg.48053544bdc4a76f8e76c6568f80dcf5.jpeg

069CE308-2285-4558-86CA-0D55F691C245.thumb.jpeg.8177a09a6f5ec49fe211af71df4ec282.jpeg

5A4516C9-5274-4483-BFB3-19BB660C4771.thumb.jpeg.2320f09cc1601aeb96f4d3370fa1a769.jpeg

You should do a google search for "Hyracodon nebrascensis teeth"

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

33 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

You should do a google search for "Hyracodon nebrascensis teeth"

That is very interesting! I had no idea that the early rhinos looked like that. I’ve been getting into a few areas lately where I am finding some very very old teeth that I have never seen before. I am going to tag you on another recent post of an old tooth I found and see what you think of that one. 

Right,  I had no knowledge about South Dakota or Nebraska mammals or their teeth.

But I know how to recognize FLORIDA rhino teeth...  about 2-3 inches, relatively narrow enamel layers, obviously ridge at the gum line, deep valleys in the enamel,  and then saw this photo,,, What ever it was called, it HAD to be related to Rhino

RHINO_TFF.JPG.87946320d99bbfeb066053b06fd661c0.JPG

I think it’s pretty amazing how many fossil mammals Florida and Nebraska have in common and so far away from each other. Especially the horses. 

29 minutes ago, diginupbones said:

I think it’s pretty amazing how many fossil mammals Florida and Nebraska have in common and so far away from each other. Especially the horses. 

The average species is extant for (ball park) 10 million years. It's a long walk, but they were in no hurry. :)

some of you may like:

Detecting Inter-Cusp and Inter-Tooth Wear Patterns in Rhinocerotids
Lucy A. Taylor, Thomas M. Kaiser, Christoph Schwitzer,, Dennis W. H. Muller, Daryl Codron,Marcus Clauss,, Ellen Schulz

Published: December 3, 2013https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080921

journal.pone.0080921.PDF

9 hours ago, doushantuo said:

some of you may like:

Detecting Inter-Cusp and Inter-Tooth Wear Patterns in Rhinocerotids
Lucy A. Taylor, Thomas M. Kaiser, Christoph Schwitzer,, Dennis W. H. Muller, Daryl Codron,Marcus Clauss,, Ellen Schulz

Published: December 3, 2013https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080921

journal.pone.0080921.PDF

Thanks for the reference. As I clicked on the link, it auto magically downloaded. :egypt:

versus asking me where I wanted to put the pdf.  Nice

I love pictures: As I found in this fossil thread, Rhino teeth are pretty similar across the eons and around the world.  Curious

RhinoTeethWear.JPG.93b73711c5b62b7606cf6a78cc243e70.JPG

This appears to be a lower tooth.  Senile, very worn, I'd say.  It's not any of the rhinoceratids I know of.  Eliminate peccaries as a possibility.  The tooth is neither selenodont (oreodonts), nor bunodont.  I have the feeling I should recognize this tooth, but I am stumped.

peccary_mylohyus.JPG

rhino_hyracodon_lower.JPG

rhino_menoceras_p2_B.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

38 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

This appears to be a lower tooth.  Senile, very worn, I'd say.  It's not any of the rhinoceratids I know of.  Eliminate peccaries as a possibility.  The tooth is neither selenodont (oreodonts), nor bunodont.  I have the feeling I should recognize this tooth, but I am stumped.

What do you think about Mesohippus?

38 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

5A19C2EA-75E8-438A-ACF1-90100B6DD496.png.31265e0dce33eabcd58a203b4a829925.png

224002B7-CA83-4165-8059-1C551797F8A9.png.ffa88165bab29e10a19e161ea594e025.png

FEF63D2D-3CE1-4E6B-9913-D71B3B457C1E.png.4a07f722ac69c2412639e0a23a320846.png

31 minutes ago, diginupbones said:

What do you think about Mesohippus?

I think the perissodactyl direction is probably correct, but the mystery tooth lacks the crochets in the enamel evident on the tooth in your images.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I will agree with Perissodact6yl lower molar.  Cherry County is almost all Miocene so it will be more recnt than the typical White River stuff we see a lot of here.  More similar to Florida Miocene teeth.  Of the teeth seen above, chailocothere looks most like it to me.  

I think you nailed it Harry.  What a strange looking animal! I’ve had a heck of a run on old strange teeth here lately so I hope you don’t get tired of looking at them. I’ve got a few more really unusual ones to post up but I’m trying not to throw too much out there at once! Thanks for everyone’s help.  

I certainly agree with perissodactyl as partial rhino was my first thought. I think Harry is on the right track if not spot on. 

Very cool find! I don't think I've ever seen any chalicothere material on here before.