Paula D

Hello,
This is my first post. I do a lot of beach combing on the Downeast Maine coast and am starting to expand my hunting skills and knowledge beyond picking up beach glass , driftwood and “ cool rocks”.

I recently picked up what looks like it may be a fragment of a walrus tusk. I’ve seen photos In search results of petrified ivory that compare to the coloration and features of the surface of my find- which is definitely not bone (enamel appearance, no pores). I would appreciate any input anyone can offer. Thanks

for taking a look 0ACD5F2E-E743-4317-8E59-E56198B3F5A5.thumb.jpeg.a19f4d22f3f60edca532851164e4ae6c.jpeg

Hi,

Rib part ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. Give our experts some time to get back to you. I does look like a modern rib bone. If we are lucky you might get an answer from Sir Paul himself given your interesting post title. @Boesse

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Some reading for you IF it is Florida fossil Walrus tusk

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/ontocetus-emmonsi/

I recently found this fragment: I am like 40% walrus tusk, 60% dugong rib...

IMG_4136Walrus.thumb.JPEG.2b62a5429c58060ad5a8e0ced38f2b73.JPEGIMG_4139.thumb.JPEG.d39b4100f57c714a2d05686d99a7b3df.JPEGIMG_4140.thumb.JPEG.d76a63a221e39bca6d84fbf662be7ed4.JPEG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I am like 40% walrus tusk, 60% dugong rib.

:b_idea: There you go ! But downeast Maine ? Storm dredging up offshore Miocene ? 

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

:b_idea: There you go ! But downeast Maine ? Storm dredging up offshore Miocene ? 

:DOH::headscratch::shakehead:..my bad

Maybe I was switching between too many threads too fast. I was thinking this was found off Venice...

Not all that many dugongs in Maine. Can I delete my last post?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This looks more rib-like than tusk like to me, and despite the location, @Shellseeker's suspicions were not misguided. If it were a tusk it should be straighter whereas this seems to curve quite a bit, and though the cross-section is mostly a single color and has little contrast, I cannot see any obvious core of globular dentine (an easy test for walrus tusk). So I am doubtful that this is from a walrus.

There are scattered records of fossil pinnipeds in Maine, so something like a manatee during the slightly warmer than present Sangamonian interglacial would not be too big of a stretch; there are no pre-Pleistocene fossiliferous marine deposits in Maine.

• I found this Informative 4

There are two walrus skulls on display at the Maine State Museum.

Think of it though, manatee weather, in Maine. :D

27 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

There are two walrus skulls on display at the Maine State Museum.

Think of it though, manatee weather, in Maine. :D

Get out your suntan oils and beach chair.  -_-  They might be back...some day eon

48 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Get out your suntan oils and beach chair.  -_-  They might be back...some day eon

Suit case and boarding pass is closer to my schedule (I hope). That whole thermo/haline thing has to be worked through first you know.

Hello Paula and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx. where you can still hear Beatles tunes coming out of my windows.  For you see:

" I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob g'goo goo g'joob"  :megdance: