Probably a sponge but....

Kaibabian

This was found among one of the large chert layers in the permian Kaibab Limestone. The sponge, Actinocoelia, is very common in this layer but this seems different or is at least a different presentation or segment of it. It's nearly perfectly round. It's diameter is 3 1/2 cm.

P1044539.jpg

P1044541.jpg

P1044540.jpg

P1044535.jpg

I am not seeing anything that looks obviously like a sponge. It might be a really poorly preserved bivalve or a mini hamburger slider. I have never heard of more than one sponge variety in the Kaibab. That is sort of odd since their are several varieties each in the underlying Fort Apache Limestone and the Naco Formation.

Keep on looking. Someday we will have to get together so I can see your unknowns in person. Keep looking for interesting stuff.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I am not seeing anything that looks obviously like a sponge. It might be a really poorly preserved bivalve or a mini hamburger slider. I have never heard or more than one sponge variety in the Kaibab. That is sort of odd since their are several varieties each in the underlying Fort Apache Limestone and the Naco Formation.

Keep on looking. Someday we will have to get together so I can see your unknowns in person. Keep looking for interesting stuff.

Hamburger slider! I will tell you that it is extremely pleasing to hold in your hand. The Orthocone nautiloid you identified for me I couldn't find in any of the literature about the Kaibab limestone although I found examples in other areas that seem to confirm your identification. I found another straight nautiloid yesterday although very different looking. My friend has several nicely preserved straight nautiloids from the Kaibab. Are they known in the Kaibab and just not mentioned in the literature or are they one of the reported ones, 

Aulametacoceras sp., Metacoceras unklesbayi, Stearoceras sp., Tainoceras sp. (taken from the Walnut Canyon National Monument Paleontological Resource Inventory)?

47 minutes ago, Kaibabian said:

Hamburger slider! I will tell you that it is extremely pleasing to hold in your hand. The Orthocone nautiloid you identified for me I couldn't find in any of the literature about the Kaibab limestone although I found examples in other areas that seem to confirm your identification. I found another straight nautiloid yesterday although very different looking. My friend has several nicely preserved straight nautiloids from the Kaibab. Are they known in the Kaibab and just not mentioned in the literature or are they one of the reported ones, 

Aulametacoceras sp., Metacoceras unklesbayi, Stearoceras sp., Tainoceras sp. (taken from the Walnut Canyon National Monument Paleontological Resource Inventory)?

Here is a very interesting article that talks about fossil found at the Grand Canyon that is loaded with references. McKee found Orthoceras nautiloids in the Kaibab. Most interesting to me is the presence of several undescribed sponges.

Chapter 5. Paleozoic Invertebrate Paleontology of Grand Canyon National Park. By Linda Sue Lassiter, Justin S. Tweet, Frederick A. Sundberg, John R. Foster, and P. J. Bergman

https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/637947

Here is the multi chapter 2020 report, goof stuff: 

Grand Canyon National Park
Centennial Paleontological Resource Inventory (Non-Sensitive Version)
Natural Resource Report NPS/GRCA/NRR—2020/2103
12 VincentL.Santucci andJustinS.Tweet, editors

https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/Reference/Profile/2272500

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340549989_Santucci_V_L_and_J_S_Tweet_editors_2020_Grand_Canyon_National_Park_Centennial_paleontological_resource_inventory_non-sensitive_version

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

25 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is a very interesting article that talks about fossil found at the Grand Canyon that is loaded with references. McKee found Orthoceras nautiloids in the Kaibab. Most interesting to me is the presence of several undescribed sponges.

Chapter 5. Paleozoic Invertebrate Paleontology of Grand Canyon National Park. By Linda Sue Lassiter, Justin S. Tweet, Frederick A. Sundberg, John R. Foster, and P. J. Bergman

https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/637947

Here is the multi chapter 2020 report, goof stuff: 

Grand Canyon National Park
Centennial Paleontological Resource Inventory (Non-Sensitive Version)
Natural Resource Report NPS/GRCA/NRR—2020/2103
12 VincentL.Santucci andJustinS.Tweet, editors

https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/Reference/Profile/2272500

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340549989_Santucci_V_L_and_J_S_Tweet_editors_2020_Grand_Canyon_National_Park_Centennial_paleontological_resource_inventory_non-sensitive_version

Thanks for the links! It seems to me there’s a Masters project to describe the orthoceras naultiloids. If my friend and I have at least 6 specimens,  the GCNP and/or NAU have to have some, no? My friend and his son have found unnamed shark teeth that the team at NAU (Hodnett) said they’d described one day. They used to live feet from the micro- site where the devil shark tooth was found. It would be interesting to know what the other sponges look like. I’m definitely going to keep my eye out for them. Maybe they look like hamburgers!