Coral?

MrBones

Hello, I recently went on a trip to Ras al Khaimah. On our trip we visited Jebel al Jais (the highest mountain in the UAE), and I found these fossils jutting out of this rock. I thought they looked like some sort of coral, but I am not entirely sure. I would like to know what you guys think.20200717_144352.thumb.jpg.aa16f433c77983890e5745037739c669.jpg

I’m not sure it could be a fossil but it could also easily be geological (maybe dentritic growth?) not really sure here though:)

3 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

I’m not sure it could be a fossil but it could also easily be geological (maybe dentritic growth?) not really sure here though:)

They have a very distinct pattern, and they all seem to have a "mouth" or openning with lots of smaller structures inside. I've seen some dendrites before, but these look a bit different.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm just going to toss in what comes to mind, archaeocyathid.

That might be it! I found this image while looking up "archaeocyathid" on the internet, looks limilar to some of the fossils in the rock.

Screenshot_20200717-183339_Google.thumb.jpg.97a188b67dec88e60f147d58d1f9a6a2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

These are to the Cambrian (?) what rudist are to the Cretaceous. :headscratch:

So they were plentiful during that time?

5 minutes ago, MrBones said:

So they were plentiful during that time?

Just double checked. That's when they were around. 

Hope someone can add more though. I don't know much about them.

29 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

These are to the Cambrian (?) what rudist are to the Cretaceous. :headscratch:

Just to clarify for those who don't delve as heavily into concepts as I do. Both seem to present a wide variety of strange shapes.

Very probably Scleractinians, solitary corals. I have been to that area some decades ago and you have got a lot of Upper Cretaceous there (principally Campanian to Maastrichtian). Your specimen show two longitudinal sections, one flat cyclolitid (but not necessarily Cyclolites!) coral and a turbinate form.

• I found this Informative 2