Atrociraptor tooth?

BonuFrailman

Hi everyone,

I purchased this tooth from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation in Canada recently and was wondering what you guys think of it. The seller sold it to me as Theropod indet, but said he believes it to be Atrociraptor Marshalli. 

What troubles me is the lack of serrations which might just be worn down.

Tooth is 1.2 cm long and originated from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation in Canada.

BA67C183-E7EB-467F-802B-F82DD4CC1FD7.png

• I found this Informative 2

Obtaining theropod teeth without serrations really limits identification.  Atrociraptor is a Saurornitholestinae so it should have some of the characteristics of Saurornitholestes.   Just looking at the base it does not look compressed enough to be similar to Saurornitholestes.  Can you provide me length and width(at midpoint) of the base.  The ratio might give some clues.  My guess its a small tyrannosaurid tooth. Like to also see a photo of the outside carina even without serrations 

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Obtaining theropod teeth without serrations really limits identification.  Atrociraptor is a Saurornitholestinae so it should have some of the characteristics of Saurornitholestes.   Just looking at the base it does not look compressed enough to be one.  Can you provide me length and width(at midpoint) of the base.  The ratio might give some clues.  My guess its a small tyrannosaurid tooth. Like to also see a photo of the outside carina even without serrations 

My apologies I should have asked the seller before they sent it. It’s almost arrived so I’ll post the measurements as soon as it arrives!

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, Troodon said:

Obtaining theropod teeth without serrations really limits identification.  Atrociraptor is a Saurornitholestinae so it should have some of the characteristics of Saurornitholestes.   Just looking at the base it does not look compressed enough to be similar to Saurornitholestes.  Can you provide me length and width(at midpoint) of the base.  The ratio might give some clues.  My guess its a small tyrannosaurid tooth. Like to also see a photo of the outside carina even without serrations 

Finally received it yesterday,

the length of the base is .7 cm and the width is .4 cm

Thank you but cannot confirm its one.    Obtaining teeth without serrations eliminates the key feature in identification.  Also hopfully the seller provided you with a disposition number to permit legal exportation from Alberta

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thank you but cannot confirm its one.    Obtaining teeth without serrations eliminates the key feature in identification.  Also hopfully the seller provided you with a disposition number to permit legal exportation from Alberta

Thankfully they did include the disposition number on the riker mount they sent me.

It’s 000028-000029