Shark Teeth in an Acrylic Display Box

BellamyBlake

Hi everyone,

I purchased an acrylic case to display various shark teeth with labels. The teeth would be placed on the bottom panel - the one that is on the table - with labels underneath them. Here's what it looks like:

p289_1.jpg

I didn't really consider how I would keep the shark teeth in their places. When the case is shifted, the teeth will shift with it. The teeth would just need to stay still if I need to move the case for cleaning underneath it, for instance.

I don't want to use anything destructive like glue because it's likely that I'll want to replace teeth with better ones once I get them. Whatever I use, I'd like it to allow me to replace teeth as I please. I considered an anti-slip pad underneath the teeth; I doubt that would damage anything, but I'm not sure how well it will work. In any case, it's my best option right now and I'd appreciate more from those more experienced with this.

There is a type of sticky "putty" called min-tac that is used for holding small (thumbnail size) minerals in place.  It should be easily removed from the tooth by rubbing it off should you want to replace the tooth.  It is non-destructive and is not permanent if you don't want it to be.  It should be easy to find, even on your favorite auction site.  I think this would work well for your application.  Hope this helps.  If you can't find it, just PM me and I'll tell you more about where you can find it.<_<

• I found this Informative 1

36 minutes ago, grandpa said:

There is a type of sticky "putty" called min-tac that is used for holding small (thumbnail size) minerals in place.  It should be easily removed from the tooth by rubbing it off should you want to replace the tooth.  It is non-destructive and is not permanent if you don't want it to be.  It should be easy to find, even on your favorite auction site.  I think this would work well for your application.  Hope this helps.  If you can't find it, just PM me and I'll tell you more about where you can find it.<_<

I found it, thank you so much! This will work wonderfully, and indeed I'm reading on description that it's not destructive.

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Does min-tac leave any kind of oily residue? I would assume not since it is non-destructive and made specifically for small minerals. I'm having trouble locating info on this specific putty (My Google- Fu is not strong tonight. :ninja:), but I know I have seen other sticky putty brands leave a grease stain after removal.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

22 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Wayne,

Try http://crscientific.com/mineraltack.html

States that it leaves no grease stain.  I haven't noticed any problem with this on my minerals.  Haven't really personally found a need to use it on my fossils yet.

Thanks Tom! Not sure I have a use for it with my fossils yet either, but it’s good to have options! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I know you've requested not to use glue, but for a similar sort of display I have put just a dab of super glue (less than a q-tip worth) on the back side of whatever you want to hold down. You can then soak a toothpick in acetone (nail polish remover) and gently wipe the bottom surface where the glue is to remove it. Takes seconds to glue or remove and clean up. No need to use a lot of either substance. Acetone will not damage an authentic shark tooth fossil to my knowledge.