TOM BUCKLEY

Can shark teeth be found along the Jersey Shore.....specifically North Wildwood beaches?

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Hi Tom. I would never say never, but I have walked many a mile on the Jersey shore and have never found a shark tooth, modern, or otherwise. I have found Native relics, coins, old bottles, but never any shark teeth. I would think there have to be some, but if there are, they are quite scarce. Southern New Jersey is pretty much a sand bar produced at the end of the last ice age 10 to 12 thousand years ago. The topography of the state is quite rocky from about Trenton north, Trenton being near the approximate terminus of the last glaciers, and south of there being sand and gravel glacial wash all the way to Cape May. This glacier melting is relatively recent as far as geologic time goes. and has deeply buried the deposits so prevalent in Northeast N.J. and the Chesapeake region.

• I found this Informative 2

21 minutes ago, CreekDawg said:

Hi Tom. I would never say never, but I have walked many a mile on the Jersey shore and have never found a shark tooth, modern, or otherwise. I have found Native relics, coins, old bottles, but never any shark teeth. I would think there have to be some, but if there are, they are quite scarce. Southern New Jersey is pretty much a sand bar produced at the end of the last ice age 10 to 12 thousand years ago. The topography of the state is quite rocky from about Trenton north, Trenton being near the approximate terminus of the last glaciers, and south of there being sand and gravel glacial wash all the way to Cape May. This glacier melting is relatively recent as far as geologic time goes. and has deeply buried the deposits so prevalent in Northeast N.J. and the Chesapeake region.

Thanks so much for the information. I've been spoiled by the Florida beaches. When I lived up North,  I collected some in the Big Brook.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 8 months later...

There are actually plenty of fossil shark teeth on NJ beaches at least from Deal to Point Pleasant. Eocene, Miocene, and supposedly Cretaceous teeth are all found. I've been hitting these beaches since January with surprising success. The teeth are rare, but if you crawl slowly and have patience and a good eye, they are definitely there. And there is no reason no to expect them all the way down the NJ coast. Here's a shot of my last haul from a week ago on Asbury Park Beach (10 shark teeth and 1 ray tooth):

20210404_171412.thumb.jpg.c0d9abaeb27a73e0849f33b948ddf61b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

Def. can find teeth on NJ beaches! I have found over 50 this winter. Tough search but they are out there! 

On 4/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, Bob-ay said:

44B3A531-74CA-4E16-913B-86C19967F4D8.thumb.jpeg.c2f364312c638398a254c9b3d171dd68.jpeg4F36904A-E627-4E67-9201-1973EA076EB5.thumb.jpeg.5a9e2968e5503bb4cca2d40d45eb3dbd.jpeg6C4A2474-86D2-4AB6-BDB0-B893322C6802.thumb.jpeg.aaa9b91dfdf112774a5f27bd56d43d6e.jpeg

All from NJ beaches Ocean/Monmouth Counties from this year 2021. 

Outstanding collection! Thanks for sharing!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

do I see a Xiphodolamia in both of these collections? Both are rare as far as I know. Carl's 4 o'clock and Bob A's second riker center.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

35 minutes ago, Plax said:

do I see a Xiphodolamia in both of these collections? Both are rare as far as I know. Carl's 4 o'clock and Bob A's second riker center.

Not 100% sure to be honest. I can take better pics later. Maybe someone else can help ID. 

Bob-ay, I see a potential Xiph. in the first riker case, first row, middle lens, leftmost tooth.

Here is an example of one

IMG_8982.thumb.JPG.da61664e1bdeb23df37eebb28b08610b.JPG

: )

5 hours ago, Plax said:

Mine could be Xiphodolamia. I did find a nice on on Asbury Park Beach (the large one in the photo).

20210519_155329.jpg

Edited by Carl

12 minutes ago, Carl said:

Mine could be Xiphodolamia. I did find a nice on on Asbury Park Beach (the large one in the photo).

20210519_155329.jpg

This tooth does resemble that one as well..  Also off a beach in Ocean County. 

E6210DDA-665C-42A4-85F2-7DCCDAD7E002.thumb.jpeg.f3ab6686f2895f3684fe257cda5f0bd5.jpeg

• I Agree 1

Most of my beach exploration in NJ was from Island Beach and south. I should have clarified that in my original post. It makes sense though, as I have found examples of many of the pictured teeth in the Shark River.

2 hours ago, CreekDawg said:

Most of my beach exploration in NJ was from Island Beach and south. I should have clarified that in my original post. It makes sense though, as I have found examples of many of the pictured teeth in the Shark River.

These were all found alil north of IBSP..  all off the beach in areas that have had beach replenishment in the last few years,