Nautiloid

Went on the field trip with the NYPS to Madison County today. We went to 2 sites today. The first one was DSR and the second one was a new locality in Brookfield, NY. It was basically untouched and there were greenops everywhere ( but I’ll talk about that in a later post because this one’s all about the phyllocarids). I managed to find 5 or so partial Rhinocaris carapaces at DSR. None of them with telsons or anything fancy like that. At the second spot though, I got lucky! Along with 7 more Rhinocaris partials I found an Echinocaris with both valves and part of the Telson! Definitely one of my best finds ever. 

• I found this Informative 3

13 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Good job with the Phyllocarids!

Thanks! They’re probably my favorite things to find. They’re neat critters. 

Fantastic!

You hit a jackpot on those phyllocarids.

Well spotted.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Congratulations on finding all of those phyllocarids, especially the Echinocaris - WOW!!!

9 hours ago, Misha said:

Awesome finds!

@Misha Thanks!! :D

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing! 

Congratulations! :tiphat:

Thank you!! :tiphat:

8 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Fantastic!

You hit a jackpot on those phyllocarids.

Well spotted.

Thanks! :D

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very good!

Thank you! :D

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Congratulations on finding all of those phyllocarids, especially the Echinocaris - WOW!!!

Thanks! I did not expect to find so many phyllocarids. Must have been beginners luck lol. :D

Just made another awesome phyllocarid discovery!! Underneath one of my partial Rhinocaris valves there’s a telson!5C39DF12-D8CC-4BE0-B42B-B63487A0FD79.thumb.jpeg.d96afb4364c9a49284f843e70819c05c.jpegF36BB57E-DAC1-431C-BF50-A3EE96C8E26D.thumb.jpeg.8c5223feb0cf91e1c5a0ae3996039d7c.jpeg

A8C4ACE4-9323-40B2-A216-9C0888F4D835.thumb.jpeg.a12bbf4ea04dab36d82d52767b63d50c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Quick update: the phyllocarid shown above actually has both valves. Unfortunately, one is squashed underneath the other. No idea how on earth I’m gonna prep it. :zzzzscratchchin:

Congratulations, especially the echionocaris with the telson. That many phyllocarid finds in one day is unheard of. Big congratulations. 

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations, especially the echionocaris with the telson. That many phyllocarid finds in one day is unheard of. Big congratulations. 

Thanks! I’m also having a hard time believing I found so many phyllocarids. Must be a mixture of great eyesight and knowing what to look for lol. :D

By the way, just as a heads up to everyone I’m planning to enter that Echinocaris with the telson into the IFOTM contest after I prep it. If you all could vote for my fossil I would greatly appreciate it! :D

4 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Looks like I’m not the only phyllocarid nut around these parts lol 

@Al Tahan I do love myself some phyllocarids! :D