Vertebrae from Kem Kem

trilo

... as mentioned in my other post, from the Kem Kem is this vertebrae. And before I start cleaning it up it would be great to get some comments from the vert experts here -  maybe crocodile?

9.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Sorry, but this is a monster. I think this is made from at least 3 different specimens. A bad composite. Especially the lateral processes look terrible.

Can't really call this anything until you've cleaned it. Luckily it does seem like most of the centrum and possibly some of the neural arch could be original. The centrum seems like it might be either dorsal or caudal.

So yeah, good luck cleaning this.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

thanks LT, I had a bad feeling when I put it out of the box and saw the right process with its whitish lateral brocken surface.

- we will see what comes out of it after cleaning

Sorry my friend. I refer to specimens like this as Frankenfossils. Like previously said, majority of it is probably authentic. It’s just put together with pieces from multiple critters 

another one of the box.... looks like these lateral processes are better and possible real - not so much sand on it to cover something up  - but maybe also fake after cleaning a bit deeper

13.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

That one looks a lot better. I don't see any red flags. I suspect this one might be completely authentic. If it's all original then I think this is likely a Spinosaur anterior caudal vertebra.

It looks similar to like 2 to 6 or so. So the very base of the tail.

2_1.thumb.jpg.5c45ae14680af5348b28c64c98b1605a.jpg

Great! thanks LT  for your opinion. ...the box has also this one in........, which I believe is one of the last tail vertebrae segments of a Spinosaurid- good to see in the pic you posted too.

- the neural spine looks so far real! and not attached or crafted, on the other hand the prezygapophysis on both sides are definatelly re-attached but maybe from this vert originally.

What do you think?

Definitely a composite as the anatomy isn't correct at all. It's hard to tell, but if you're lucky you might be right that some parts like the neural spine and prezygapophyses are just reattached but might still belong to the same specimen. But I wouldn't count on that. The postzygapophyses are definitely added as they shouldn't be there in that shape on such a posterior spinosaur caudal vert. It's just all wrong.

So yeah, I'd say clean it and find out what, if any, parts belong to together.

Thank you very much LT! very helpfull! and cleaning it up is exactly what I will do now.

-I will add some pics when it is done

thanks again

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 months later...

OK, as I promised, here is now the cleaned vertebrae from above. It is the anterior caudal vertebra, LordTrilobite identified as a Spinosaurid one.....

Thanks again LT! during the clean up, I noticed these grooves, which I believe could be some bit marks esp. the one deep one. What is your opinion?

new.jpg

20201115_170956_resized.jpg