King/Giant Penguin Skull Pliocene

Kerrsharpeyoung

Only example of this king Penguin Skull from this location. Thought to be Pliocene period with everything else we are finding here. Progress is coming along nicely even with a bad break through the top of the cranium. More progress to follow and will have an international scale by next time (small town problems) 

any my more information on this or similar species would be much appreciated as I have limited knowledge on this particular Penguin.

thanks community! 

A2839C6A-9C02-4974-82A4-94B2B795F823.jpeg

11503427-09ED-4E72-8249-88E01A80B3A9.jpeg

C4E04098-18C7-43EB-B986-03EB7E68F082.jpeg

• I found this Informative 23

Incredible! Have you reached out to a museum yet? They should have good info and may be very interested in your find.

• I found this Informative 3

12 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Incredible! Have you reached out to a museum yet? They should have good info and may be very interested in your find.

Hey sure have but they’re slow at getting back at times. 

Gorgeous skull! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would recommend getting in touch with RE Fordyce at U. Otago or Alan Tennyson at Te Papa. This looks like a very scientifically important fossil. It does look like Aptenodytes, but I can confirm that no published Pliocene records of Aptenodytes exist from NZ, and is worthy of scientific study.

• I found this Informative 9

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

I would recommend getting in touch with RE Fordyce at U. Otago or Alan Tennyson at Te Papa. This looks like a very scientifically important fossil. It does look like Aptenodytes, but I can confirm that no published Pliocene records of Aptenodytes exist from NZ, and is worthy of scientific study.

Hey yes Alan Tennyson knows all about this piece. I’m not sure who Fordyce is though I’ll try get in contact thanks! 

Ok... That is ridiculous... In a good way! Wow! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

13 hours ago, Kerrsharpeyoung said:

Hey yes Alan Tennyson knows all about this piece. I’m not sure who Fordyce is though I’ll try get in contact thanks! 

Ewan Fordyce is the most prominent vertebrate paleontologist in New Zealand, and was my Ph.D. adviser from 2012-2015. He works on fossil cetaceans, sea birds (chiefly penguins among them), sea turtles, mollusks, and stratigraphy. He's at the University of Otago.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Boesse said:

Ewan Fordyce is the most prominent vertebrate paleontologist in New Zealand, and was my Ph.D. adviser from 2012-2015. He works on fossil cetaceans, sea birds (chiefly penguins among them), sea turtles, mollusks, and stratigraphy. He's at the University of Otago.

Thanks so much @Boesse I’ll try and get in touch with him