Ok, I See Keichousaurus Plates All The Time.

Cockatoo

• 1 year later...

Hello,

here are a few hires images of a Keichousaurus bought in Taiwan in a department store. I like to believe that the department store (large japanese brand) wouldnt sell fakes, but I am skeptic.

I would love to hear your opinions. Please have a look:

dsc08634v.jpg

dsc08632h.jpg

dsc08633q.jpg

dsc08626q.jpg

dsc08624m.jpg

-zav

In my opinion, you picked a nice one. Even some of the real ones are so badly over-prepped that they look carved, and yours is fairly well done. The last two-thirds of the tail seem to be "restored", but overall, this is a nice ventral specimen.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In my opinion, you picked a nice one. Even some of the real ones are so badly over-prepped that they look carved, and yours is fairly well done. The last two-thirds of the tail seem to be "restored", but overall, this is a nice ventral specimen.

Thank you for your help.

I was skeptical mainly because of the space between the ribs. If you zoom in on the third picture above you can see that there seems to be some bright glue liquid between the ribs.

Also in some areas (e.g close to the head) it looks in the side view almost as if there is a crack between the bone and the material around. I suppose that is all the result of the over prepping you mean. I am not an expert in preparation work at all, so this was all suspicious to me :)

Thanks again for your opinion.

-zav

• I found this Informative 1

Here's mine; the picture with the scale was actually made by a scanner. The contrast on both pics is a bit enhanced. I'm pretty sure this is the real deal, I bought it from a trustworthy seller. Every bone, no matter how tiny, looks 3-D (I learned my lesson years ago, when I bought a small fossil fish that turned out to be painted on the matrix for the most part, only a few bones were original). The crack in the mottom left corner didn't damage the fossil, It looks like the corner piece came from another plate, pribably it was glued on this for aesthetic purposes. The UV light inspection didn't reveal anything wrong, the only part that shined brightly was that glued crack. I have also shown it to a paleontologist and he said there's nothing wrong with the fossil :)

zav42, I think your Keich looks great!

post-7253-0-51949000-1346420330_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-43083600-1346420201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

• 5 years later...

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this one. Not that it matters but I specify asked if it was a replica or authentic, I was told authentic. It took about a month or so to receive.. apparently is was shipped on a cargo plan from a remote area. The lighter area looks like paint but it’s the stone chipped away apparently to expose the said fossil. 

8B459655-A72D-4F0A-ACB5-FD9E65D4667C.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Brian X said:

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this one.

Welcome to TFF!

Your piece looks real, the lighter area is just the color of the matrix.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Brightened your picture. 

8B459655-A72D-4F0A-ACB54faee3f64ac2b7864e3692c2d6.jpeg

It looks pretty good, but I would like to see better photos of it.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Brightened your picture. 

8B459655-A72D-4F0A-ACB54faee3f64ac2b7864e3692c2d6.jpeg

It looks pretty good, but I would like to see better photos of it.

I’ll take a closer photo and post it in a few minutes 

34 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Your piece looks real, the lighter area is just the color of the matrix.

0191B19B-4043-4F5E-BCBA-27708EAB4EDE.jpeg

Don’t want to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation, but in my opinion nearly all the keichousaurus offered for sale are real, although most are very poorly prepped and some have the heads and/or toes painted on. There are so many keichousaurs that it is actually cheaper to crudely prep them than to manufacture a convincing fake. I also think that with a little shopping around, keichousaurs are one of the best fossil deals out there. I mean, a complete Triassic reptile skeleton for around $100. Hard to beat that. 

3 hours ago, Brian X said:

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this one. Not that it matters but I specify asked if it was a replica or authentic, I was told authentic. It took about a month or so to receive.. apparently is was shipped on a cargo plan from a remote area. The lighter area looks like paint but it’s the stone chipped away apparently to expose the said fossil. 

It's real. My concern is on whether or not the limbs are composited in.

Nonetheless, it's a unique specimen. I like it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

@steelhead9 has in my opinion answered this post correctly . The biggest issue is they are horribly prepared and then enhanced by paint. Keichousaurus fossils I think are found in abundance .so complete fakes probably very few if any. Some advice for if you are in the market for one , save your money up and then shop around a bit, don’t rush in because there are some nice specimens out there and there are plenty of TFF family members with some beautifully specimens  . This is mine I payed about £160 for it and it is 100% original .

1B2AA4A8-3CBE-4140-B1B4-CA736C951DBB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I have two Keichousauruses, both of which I am sure are real.  I've inspected them under dissecting scopes.  One I bought from France, prepped by a forum member, and the other I got on ebay.  Echoing what some others have said, I think probably the large majority of these you see on ebay are real (though maybe restored) and just badly prepped.  You have to look at a lot of ones to find one that looks good, with 3d bones that are not ground down.

This thread is an interesting journey back in time, where on page one (in 2009), apparently everybody was convinced that 99% of them were fakes! It just goes to show that, whilst caution and skepticism is always advised when it comes to buying fossils, it is possible to go overboard.

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

@Aurelius well spotted I never noticed the dates. I feel silly replying now.:blink:

I wouldn't worry, I think what you posted is useful information which bears repeating!