Not certain on this one

SerratedTeeth

Found this guy at the beach today. Haven’t found one like it before, and I have a hunch on what it might be but the cusps make me unsure. Doesn’t look like there were any serrations. At least I don’t see remnants of them anyways. Similar root structure to that of a benedini. Any ideas?

A4682C29-9D58-4130-B193-16DC277BB53F.jpeg

2C3E6B8D-FAD3-40ED-9310-30CFE0D0F524.jpeg

6FDF08E4-1E61-41F2-BB5F-C403C7776CF0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

My first instinct would be to say Benedini, but where was it found? Country, state, etc.? That would help narrow things down. 

Ah sorry forgot to mention that. It was found at Wrightsville beach in North Carolina. That was my first impression as well. Haven’t seen too many benedini with cusps that’s why I was a little hesitant with the ID.

I’m guessing it is Otodus (Carcharocles) auriculatus with the serrations worn off. If it never had serrations, it would be Otodus obliquus.

Looks P. benedeni to me but I could see it being other otodontids. Here’s my cusped Benny, it’s the lighter one. The darker one is a juvenile Otodus obliquus. As you can see they are not super different, the former likely being a descendant of the latter. 

0730DCA5-B3EB-4BFA-A26B-D2B2F1EF79CE.jpeg

EAD92163-7F17-4CB1-837B-A1A03D370827.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason