Found this online! Might be a baby dinosaur skull with teeth and an eye but don’t know

Hawk2

Hello there! I stumbled across this online, what looks to be a petrified baby dinosaur skull fossil.

It looks like it has a row of teeth, an eye and eye sockets!

My question is if it actually is a dinosaur or if it’s nothing but a rock.

70F43D7E-A568-4BE5-82FC-CBBEAEFD2546.jpeg.fdc9997d5efd0e614eeffffc29dda795.jpeg

97D6C531-60C6-485A-823B-3F15BAF76BA0.jpeg

823F1A50-73F4-4F9C-8D07-88AD04DEA401.jpeg

6C1AD566-4C67-4E1E-9ECB-E095F995D42E.jpeg

Edited by Fossildude19
To clarify it was found/purchased online.

Sorry, just a rock.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

How do you know ? Like me, I’m not really good on fossils but it definitely looks like something 

Also sorry but it’s just a rock. There’s no sign of bone here. There’s no bilateral symatry, No bone texture, no skull sutures etc. it’s cool looking from the right angle though.

Thanks for the input. Bought from someone I was trying to make sure it was legitimate but I guess that answers it a very very expensive rock 

It’s hard to describe how to tell. But once you’ve seen a real one it gets kind of obvious. For instance here an Oreodont skull I’m working on. Notice how the sides are the same? The suture lines where the individual bones meet? The texture of the fossilized bones? The difference in texture between the bones and the matrix? I hope you can get your money back from whoever sold it to you..

6C56B6D3-73A0-450B-8BD0-FFDE7E22BF08.jpeg

842C356A-28A5-4F5F-B238-93236E40ADF3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Yeah the seller told me that this was the second one she found petrified. Said she found it on her property, in Missouri on the new Madrid fault line and found a baby petrified velociraptor skull. She said she sold it to a school in colorado and had it verified by a paleontologist at dinoworld. Yeah I’ll definitely be trying to get my money back thanks for all the inputs much appreciated 

Edited by Hawk2

8 minutes ago, Hawk2 said:

Bought from someone

I'm sorry that you paid money for a plain rock. :s_cry:  But I'm glad that you found this forum.  :P  Now, in the future you will be able to show us items you are thinking about purchasing and get some expert advise before you buy.:unsure:  So, if you think about it, you are money ahead of many who continue to buy "stuff" without knowing that this site exists to help guide them.  -_-  That all having been said, Welcome to the Forum from Austin, Tx.:SlapHands:

• I found this Informative 1

Meant to say “stumbled across online”I apologize to those who actually spend days, weeks, months, years going out and looking for dinosaur bones

6 hours ago, Hawk2 said:

Hello there! I stumbled across this, what looks to be a petrified baby dinosaur skull fossil. It looks like it has a row of teeth, an eye and eye sockets! My question is if it actually is a dinosaur or if it’s nothing but a rock.

70F43D7E-A568-4BE5-82FC-CBBEAEFD2546.jpeg.fdc9997d5efd0e614eeffffc29dda795.jpeg 97D6C531-60C6-485A-823B-3F15BAF76BA0.jpeg 823F1A50-73F4-4F9C-8D07-88AD04DEA401.jpeg 6C1AD566-4C67-4E1E-9ECB-E095F995D42E.jpeg

Sorry, but I agree with the others. You should definitely try too get your money back! Also you should ask too see pictures of the velociraptor skull she sold, and tell her that it would be scientifically significant, considering that would be the first velociraptor skull ever found in the US!

• I found this Informative 2

And just too be clear, I’m not blaming you, its just frustrating when people sell stuff like that, and take advantage of people!

I Googled dinosaur in Missouri.  One and only dino bones found in Missouri was in 1942.  

A duck-billed dinosaur (Hadrosaur) that lived in Missouri about 75 million years ago during the Late Cretaceous period, the Hypsibema missouriense fossil was discovered in 1942 near the town of Glen Allen, Missouri.

@Hawk2 get a refund and return it. Did you pay with PayPal because they be able to help you get your money back.  As said before try before you buy and post on the forum for an ID before committing to a sale. All the best Bobby 

I sincerely hope the seller was playing dumb or joking here.. It's pretty wide known here in Missouri at least, that only a partial hadrosaur skeleton and a few other bits have been collected from a very narrow outcrop of Mesozoic rocks towards the south east of the state. The land is off limits and only operations are conducted by the MODP. Heres a good read on it.

https://www.bcmnh.org/exhibits/dinosaurs/

If this was purchased through everyone's favorite auction site, please use the money-back guarantee and return it.

• I found this Informative 2

People don't understand that finding a "baby dinosaur skull with teeth and an eye" is like winning a lottery and to have chances to do it you'd have to find "over 9000" simple fossils first.

Seller responses removed. We don't want to identify the seller and open the Forum up to any legal headaches. ;) 

Let's remember to keep this focused on the item, not the seller. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I saw the purported dino egg from the seller. It was just a stream rounded cobble. It would be nice to find more dino material from Missouri, unfortunately not in this case.

Just remember, a Forum ID opinion can be more important than a certificate of authenticity or seller ID. Check us first before you buy.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Found this online! Might be a baby dinosaur skull with teeth and an eye but don’t know
56 minutes ago, RuMert said:

People don't understand that finding a "baby dinosaur skull with teeth and an eye" is like winning a lottery and to have chances to do it you'd have to find "over 9000" simple fossils first.

One might recognize a name around here as lotto winner mentioned in the book Walking on Eggs.

6 hours ago, Hawk2 said:

She said she sold it to a school in colorado and had it verified by a paleontologist at Dinoworld. 

Where is this Dinoworld? 

The only mention I can find of a place called Dino World is an exhibit with animatronic dinosaurs, in Germany. 

(Most of the mentions are about some app/mobile game!) 

When people throw out these kinds of "Facts", I would question them more deeply about this - names of the Paleontologist involved, etc. 

If they cannot provide this, then they are handing you a line of horse puckey. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Where is this Dinoworld? 

The only mention I can find of a place called Dino World is an exhibit with animatronic dinosaurs, in Germany. 

(Most of the mentions are about some app/mobile game!) 

When people throw out these kinds of "Facts", I would question them more deeply about this - names of the Paleontologist involved, etc. 

If they cannot provide this, then they are handing you a line of horse puckey. 

There are several Dinosaurs Worlds in the US. I doubt that they have a paleontologist in their full time payroll.

https://dinosaurworld.com/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

6 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

There are several Dinosaurs Worlds in the US. I doubt that they have a paleontologist in their full time payroll.

https://dinosaurworld.com/

He specifically said "dinoworld'.  Of that I only found the one. 

There are a ton of dinosaur specific exhibits and theme parks around the USA. 

I still wouldn't take a fossil to one to have it identified.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me