Nautiloid

As indicated in an earlier post, I found lots of trilobites while on the field trip with the NYPS on Saturday. At DSR I found lots of greenops cephalons and pygidiums and even a few 60 percenters. I also found a few Eldredgeops pygidiums and one well preserved cephalon at DSR. (And a couple random Dipleura pieces). 

At the second spot, which was brand new to the NYPS, I found tons of greenops. I found 30+ greenops. Mostly cephalons, pygidiums or thoracic segments. I managed to find 3 or 4 60% completes and 5 or 6 fully completes. No Eldredgeops at the second spot. The layer I was in must have been a Greenops layer. 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice haul from your trip! 

Congratulations.  :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Most complete Greenops I ever found in a single day was four. That was last year at DSR on an outing with fossildude19. You must have really hit a productive spot. Do you know what formation you were collecting in?

38 minutes ago, Monica said:

WOW!  What a lot of Greenops!  Congratulations! :thumbsu:

@Monica Thanks! :)

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice haul from your trip! 

Congratulations.  :)

@Fossildude19Thank you! :D

12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

:trilo::trilowalk::trilosurprise::tiphat:

@Tidgy's Dad :tiphat:

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Most complete Greenops I ever found in a single day was four. That was last year at DSR on an outing with fossildude19. You must have really hit a productive spot. Do you know what formation you were collecting in?

My guess is the upper Ludlowville. I found some bivalves and other fossils that are found mainly in that formation. 

17 minutes ago, Nautiloid said:

My guess is the upper Ludlowville. I found some bivalves and other fossils that are found mainly in that formation. 

It does sound like Upper Ludlowville. Same as Briggs Road. I know a couple other Upper Ludlowville sites in Madison County that don't permit public access. 

What's the current story on Briggs Road?  A while ago we heard that the pit had been filled in and the site was gone, then we heard that there was a new pit (or the old one was expanded, it isn't clear) but the owners were chasing people off.  Now it seems that people are collecting there again.  So, do you have to arrange permission in advance?  Or is it like DSR where you can just show up?

Don

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

What's the current story on Briggs Road?  A while ago we heard that the pit had been filled in and the site was gone, then we heard that there was a new pit (or the old one was expanded, it isn't clear) but the owners were chasing people off.  Now it seems that people are collecting there again.  So, do you have to arrange permission in advance?  Or is it like DSR where you can just show up?

Don

@FossilDAWG I’m not sure about Briggs. I also heard it had been bulldozed, but lately I’ve been reading and hearing things about it still being open. Not sure if it’s a place you can just go to or if you need to arrange beforehand. 

Nice haul...you are very fortunate to have places like that available.

1 hour ago, Nautiloid said:

@FossilDAWG I’m not sure about Briggs. I also heard it had been bulldozed, but lately I’ve been reading and hearing things about it still being open. Not sure if it’s a place you can just go to or if you need to arrange beforehand. 

Oops sorry.  I had your thread and the one by Darktooth mixed up, and I assumed your second spot was Briggs.

Don

11 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Oops sorry.  I had your thread and the one by Darktooth mixed up, and I assumed your second spot was Briggs.

Don

@FossilDAWG No worries :)

49 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Nice haul...you are very fortunate to have places like that available.

Thanks! And it was definitely a good choice to join a geology club. Got me access to some good spots.