Tiny opal fossil

Woogie

Hello hello, recently i bought some opal, in amongst the small stones was this.

I am wondering if this is a fragment of bone? Maybe a piece of jaw bone?

Its from Coober Pedy, which i believe is cretaceous and marine

20200721_155209.jpg

20200721_155655.jpg

20200721_155705.jpg

We really need some close-up pics.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Ok, hope these are ok, difficult getting decent close ups. 

1st pic, looks like they might be teeth sockets

20200723_185316.jpg

20200723_185847.jpg

20200723_185728.jpg

20200724_083532.jpg

Hard to see, but in the last picture you can just about see its hollow and the matrix runs through it

That may be some of the clay/sandstone it's formed in. A lot of the opals have pockets and/or layers of it in them.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 24/07/2020 at 7:12 PM, daves64 said:

That may be some of the clay/sandstone it's formed in. A lot of the opals have pockets and/or layers of it in them.

Sorry, i am not great at wording things! Im with you though, this came with about 50 other small pieces, most are bits of bi-valve shell i think, some quite interesting looking with holes filled with the matrix, this piece was different though.

The holes look like they might be teeth sockets, but the shape of the holes make me think it might not be, especially as it would be marine, i would imagine circular holes?

Also it is hollow, like i would imagine a fossil bone to be, dont know if a jaw bone would be hollow though? Or a piece of shell? 

Spent a while searching google but cant find anything like it

Congrats,

this is a piece of a heterodont lower jaw bone of a cretaceous mammal. Rarer than reptile finds in opal.

edit: you may contact Michael Archer, who described the oldest mammal finds of Australia:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Archer2

https://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/our-people/michael-archer

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Johannes said:

Congrats,

this is a piece of a heterodont lower jaw bone of a cretaceous mammal. Rarer than reptile finds in opal.

edit: you may contact Michael Archer, who described the oldest mammal finds of Australia:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Archer2

https://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/our-people/michael-archer

That is awesome, thank you very much @Johannes 

I will email Michael Archer to see what he thinks and update

Thanks again :thumbsu:

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, rodrex said:

Hi All, Could be fish. some fish from the cretaceous have sockets like that.

Doubtfully. Opals tend to develops in tropical land environments. After all opals is a form of quartz with water incorporated into it which requires a lot of leaching of minerals and plentiful rains to make them. 

2 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

Doubtfully. Opals tend to develops in tropical land environments. After all opals is a form of quartz with water incorporated into it which requires a lot of leaching of minerals and plentiful rains to make them. 

Hmmmm... most of the opalized fossils I have seen are clams, belemnites... and a plesiosaur at Lightning Ridge.  Not very land-based.

Just now, jpc said:

Hmmmm... most of the opalized fossils I have seen are clams, belemnites... and a plesiosaur at Lightning Ridge.  Not very land-based.

Ok sorry about that. 

3 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

Ok sorry about that. 

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

The beautiful opal is formed from rain. There is some conjecture on how exactly this precious gemstone forms, but many believe it is formed when water from rain seeps down into crevasses in the rock. Once the water evaporates, the silica that is left behind dries out and hardens into precious opal. Hmmm you are right about marine sediments exposed on land as well too. And another thing I was wrong about - can be found in Czech Republic as well too so not tropical. Guessing there are still unsolved mysteries about why opals are not widespread. 

Opal is unstable over geologic time because it dehydrates and dissolves or turns into microcrystalline forms of quartz such as chalcedony and chert. In the US, most precious opal deposits are found in non tropical desert or semi arid areas such as Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, California, Washington and Oregon. Louisiana is an exception. Because opal is young and tends to form in non tropical conditions with shifting water levels, the climate in which it is formed is related to the current semi arid to desert climate. Opal is commonly related to recent volcanic eruptions with silicic ash where the silica is easily mobilized into the water table.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.