Darbi

Is this even a fossil? Ichnofossil? I'm stumped by this weird pattern. 

I found this ironstone in my parents' gravel driveway. Gravels were recently obtained from the local sand pit company here in Salina, KS., so I'm pretty sure this stone was transported in the river from Kiowa or Dakota formation (Albian) before being deposited. 

20200721_182212_compress33.jpg

20200721_182249_compress74.jpg

Sorry. I don't see any reason to think this is a fossil. It may be, but strictly mechanical processes are going to be tough to rule out.

• I found this Informative 2

20 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry. I don't see any reason to think this is a fossil. It may be, but strictly mechanical processes are going to be tough to rule out.

What do you mean by mechanical processes? You mean such as in water weathering?

Based on some of the responses (or lack of) on my previous posts, I sure do post some of the hardest objects to be identified. :heartylaugh:

5 hours ago, Darbi said:

What do you mean by mechanical processes? You mean such as in water weathering?

Perhaps physical processes would be a better term. Gravity, freezing, tectonic movement, heating and cooling, static electric charges moving small particles of sediment, anything but critters. :)

• I found this Informative 1

While it resembles a section of Hadrosaur jaw without the teeth, the ridges are not as uniform as one would expect on the dinosaur.

Here's mine for reference.

5f1d173401e62_Day1TrikeJawSection.JPG.8c0309be644eff8a4bed3f176e05fe08.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

While it resembles a section of Hadrosaur jaw without the teeth, the ridges are not as uniform as one would expect on the dinosaur.

Here's mine for reference.

Interesting! There's no bone features on this ironstone, so I'm positive it's not a fragment of bone.