aeon.rocks

Indonesian megalodon teeth warning!

Ryann10006

I got mine ages ago before the recent explosion, while its awesome to see alot more coming out now with some cool variations and colors. I find the whole bubble and tactics associated with it quite amusing. Maybe I'll grab another when theres a million more out there and prices are rock bottom.

Randyw
13 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

Maybe I'll grab another when theres a million more out there and prices are rock bottom.

LOL! Maybe when the bubble pops and the market is flooded I’ll finally be able to afford a Whole Real 5” or bigger tooth!

aeon.rocks
3 hours ago, Boesse said:

This gives me some serious hope for Tropical west Pacific marine mammals being discovered: It is my sincere hope that some are collected and that a good stratigraphic framework is established soon. This is great news! I've been seeing more and more of these teeth over the past few months. The nearest marine mammal bearing localities of late Miocene/Pliocene age are mostly on the south coast of Australia, which are still high-ish latitude (e.g. equivalent to southern California). Very, very few fossil sites worldwide have produced geologically recent marine mammals from the tropics/subtropics; exceptions are Florida, Venezuela, Panama, Baja California Sur, one locality in the Yucatan, a few scattered Caribbean localities.... and virtually nothing from western Africa, or the entire Indian Ocean.

Check the papers online, in the area where they mine now, late miocene whale skeleton find was reported a few years ago. The stratigraphy of these deposits should be interesting to see, yes. As far as I know, the stratigraphic framework was done in a few Java regions already (based on molluscs and micro fossils), the problem is without new study and location infos, we can only guess about the formations...

JohnJ

Let's avoid comments focused on pricing.  Market values are not a topic for discussion on TFF.  Thanks.

Bone Daddy

I see a TON of these Indonesian-sourced megs on Instagram. A lot of the same sellers also offer minerals native to the area, but their offerings are always sprinkled with a handful (or many) of big megalodons. I haven't looked on that auction site in a long time, but I bet it's overrun with them also. I've never been tempted to buy one though. It's more fun to find them and then do the meg-dance on the riverbank afterwards.

aeon.rocks

It's more fun to find them and then do the meg-dance on the riverbank afterwards.

Indeed, everyone should move to Florida! Or Java.  :) 

BellamyBlake

Thank you for the information, though the other thing I took away from this thread is that I want a collection of exotic Megalodon teeth!  

aeon.rocks
18 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Thank you for the information, though the other thing I took away from this thread is that I want a collection of exotic Megalodon teeth!  

Should be easy. Some might not like it, but Indonesia is an immense archipelago, with plenty potential interesting sites and there's plenty teeth for all to go round and support local industry. That gives hope that perhaps as a result new scientific discoveries will be made in Indonesia. 

BellamyBlake
15 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

Should be easy, you get 3 or 4 exotic commercial grade megs for the price of one commercial grade USA tooth. Some might not like it, but Indonesia is an immense archipelago, with plenty potential interesting sites and there's plenty teeth for all to go round and support local industry. That gives hope that perhaps as a result new scientific discoveries will be made in Indonesia. 

I had no idea! I looked around on some auction sites for exotic ones, but there's not much available - potentially because fewer are willing to ship to Canada. I saw one extremely broken Indonesian Megalodon 3" and it wasn't even recognizable as one; the price was not in line with the quality.

aeon.rocks

Indonesian sellers "haven't discovered" our favourite auction sites yet.

aeon.rocks

PS: since I mentioned acid soil erosion, in fact the story behind these roots might be more interesting:

A few specimens with marine shell imprints present on the roots below the "root level on eroded roots", indicates that these teeth might have "eroded" prior fossilization process and have been lying on the seafloor for some time after sharks lost them, long enough that the cartilage would start dissipating before the teeth were covered by sediment together with shells that left the imprints. Perhaps this speculation proves correct and roots are poor preserved thanks to taphonomical process, not due to acid erosion or erosion between uplifts and resedimentation. Figured, it might be interesting to add, since in that case "erosion" is a "feature". ;)

Fossildude19

Again, please keep the discussion centered on the fossils and availability, rather than pricing. 

Thanks. 

aeon.rocks

Careful with scammers, I hear they will go so far to even create shipping labels and never ship out.