What types of vertebrae are these?

bthemoose

Here are two vertebrae that I've found at Calvert Cliffs sites (Miocene exposures) in Maryland in recent weeks. The first I also included in a recent trip report, but am posting it separately here along with some better pictures. Any idea what kind of animal this came from? My first thought was a cetacean/dolphin based on the oval part of the photo in the upper right (which looks sort of like the epiphysis attachment point--though that's probably not the correct term--on another but otherwise different looking cetacean/dolphin vert I found). However, I haven't yet found pictures of any similar verts to this one online.

5f1857c66e32b_MatoakaVert.jpg.52e4265d47ea03f6c7008f488a0b1774.jpg

The second vert below I found a few weeks back. I think it may be from a fish but would appreciate confirmation or correction of that. I had trouble getting clear photos of the top (looking down at the "ears") and bottom, but can try again if needed/helpful. It doesn't look to me like there are broken processes on the bottom side but I could be wrong.

5f1859de30c5e_CalvertVert.jpg.ab18447ce0bdf70141305e5a858fb69c.jpg

Thanks for any help with these!

• I found this Informative 1

I’d go with cetacean thoracic on top, and bony fish on bottom. Maybe others can be more specific? 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, cck said:

I’d go with cetacean thoracic on top, and bony fish on bottom. Maybe others can be more specific? 

Thanks! Glad to hear I was in the right ballpark on these.

11 hours ago, cck said:

I agree with @cck, but I am not 100% sure. Regardless, they are fantastic. As a side note, you are doing a great job with the pictures and sizing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your finds @bthemoose. I'm currently living vicariously through your posts since I have only been down twice since March (I usually try to go twice a month). 

• I found this Informative 2

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Thanks, @ShoreThing! It’s a new hobby for me, but one I’m enjoying immensely. Hope you’re able to get out there again soon.

Is it possible that the 1st vertebra is a sacral vert? It’s missing the foramina but it does seem oddly similar to a sacral vertebra. Just a slightly educated guess though 

Thanks for taking a look, @Petalodus12! I had to look up sacral vertebrae and am quickly discovering I have a lot to learn about vertebral regions!

14 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks for taking a look, @Petalodus12! I had to look up sacral vertebrae and am quickly discovering I have a lot to learn about vertebral regions!

Happy to help. This one has really been confusing me though. If it is a sacral vertebra then it would have to be from a quite young animal, as sacral vertebrae fuse before adulthood. This animal  would have been young, as the epiphysis shows (it would be smooth in an adult animal). It could be a caudal vertebra too but I’m honestly not sure. And I’m also not sure what animal its from. Hopefully someone else chimes in with more experience on Calvert stuff.

15 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks, @ShoreThing! It’s a new hobby for me, but one I’m enjoying immensely. Hope you’re able to get out there again soon.

Well it looks like you are off to a great start! I have only been enjoying the hobby for about 2 years. I live 2.5 - 3 hours from the cliffs, so when I go I try to make an entire day of it. The heat and tides have kept me away lately. I have a flexible summer schedule and finally put a 2 week hold on my calendar for all but the most critical meetings...so if the heat breaks a bit and the tides cooperate I'll make a trip or two down.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.