Spinosaurus quadrate bone?

Still_human

Can anyone tell me if this is a spinosaurus quadrate bone? It is apparently from Kem Kem. I think it looks pretty quadratey, just going by a number that I’ve seen in pictures. I JUST purchased/won it, but havent paid yet, so I was hoping I could get opinions ASAP, so I can either pay right away, or discuss cancelling the purchase if it’s not what it’s supposed to be. Normally I would have asked for help on here BEFORE purchasing, but it was a last moment situation, so i barely even had time to think, let alone post on here about it. Any help is greatly appreciated, as always!!!

oh yeah, also, what’s that odd thing attached to the side of the upper part, thats even a different color? I’m guessing it’s part of the fossil, just....I don’t even know! I have no idea what would make it so weird and different from the rest.

6A0018D1-B638-4156-8F39-DD8F43665030.png

0E9C50AC-40F8-48CC-859C-B3F820D442AB.png

22EFA4E2-D717-45E6-A678-C8A14D3CA916.png

Here is a photo of a Spinosaurus quadrate from Hendrickx et al. 2016 quadrate paper.  I flipped the image so you have similar view.  Looks close on but you can use it to compare against 

Check your last image to the second one from left 

20200722_110113.jpg.8defe0ad2e0a2867b22f190f218b7b87.jpg

42 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Here is a photo of a Spinosaurus quadrate from Hendrickx et al. 2016 quadrate paper.  I flipped the image so you have similar view.  Looks close on but you can use it to compare against 

Hmm, I feel like it doesn’t really match all that well:/ However, I guess there can be some significant variation, which seems surprising to me, but from what I’m understanding, these are apparently all spinosaurus quadrates from different specimens(the info in the 2nd pic goes along with the 1st picture). the bottom row looks much closer, although im still not sure if it’s really a perfect match. 

BAB7767D-6AFC-4960-9E55-007A661B7248.png

4A27851B-39BA-4B7C-8D23-718AE1024767.jpeg

This spino quadrate looks like it COULD be a match, but something that’s really bothering me is this vertical thick “beam”. In this one, and most others, it’s at an angle and goes to the corner(Yellow line), but in the one in question, it goes much more straight up&down, and ends more in the middle of the top(blue line). Is that a good tell that it’s not the same kind of animal? There’s a huge variation in all the different Individual spino quadrates, but I think that one part is very consistent through all the different individuals, but different in the one I’m asking about. 

55526C79-A41C-475F-9EDA-372259264581.jpeg

Does that seem like a “deal breaker”, as it were? Something that pretty much shuts down the possibility that it’s from the same animal? I’m worried that might be a feature that ISNT variable within the fairly wide range of spinosaurus quadrate bone shapes. 
Also, what are anyone’s thoughts on the huge variation of spinosaurus quadrate bones? It almost seems unreasonable to me, that all of those could be the same bone from the same animal. Many of them don’t LOOK very distorted, and there’s just SUCH u huge difference between some of them. How could the same bone Possibly be SO different between just different individuals of the same species? 

Does anyone else have any thoughts? I did already pay, cause I didn’t want to keep them waiting, and even though I’m somewhat skeptical now, I haven’t gotten any damning info, or anything negative from you guys, and experts. Of course I still want to confirm what it is, even though it’s too late to actually cancel the purchase.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, Troodon said:

You said you think it looks close before, so, I was wondering by any chance look at the other pictures I pulled up? I was wondering what your thoughts we’re with seeing those.    Especially the last picture I posted, about that ridge going up the center area, does that seem as distressing as i think it does. 
also, I’m curious as to what your thoughts are about how all those VERY different looking quadrates are supposedly all from spinosaurus? Is it just me, or does that seem crazy?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:18 AM, Troodon said:

Suggest you contact C. Hendrickx who is the expert and author of that paper

Is he a member on here? I’ll go look for his email address, in case he’s not.

That is a spinosaur left quadrate. It's unmistakable.

It's a little beat up. Some broken parts. But this is one of the better ones I've seen so far. No red flags here. It's probably repaired though.

But I think this could be a real beauty after prepping.

Here's some reference of a young and adult spinosaur quadrate.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite