GPayton

Found on the Brazos River just southwest of Houston. I know this is the distal end of a calcaneum, but I can't figure out whether it's horse, bison, or even bear - it seems to both match and not match pictures I'm finding online. Any help is appreciated. 

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Search TFF for Calcaneum. There are lots of threads and info on identification of Calcaneums...

It is based on precise measurements. @Harry Pristis can likely help...

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

After going back through some measurements of horse and bison calcaneums I was able to pull up, it seems to match Equus sp. the best. Bison calcaneums are an inch or two too large, and although I don't know the exact names for some of the diagnostic features, this bone lacks some of the defining features that it would have if it did belong to a bison. Thanks for the help guys, and for the awesome photo albums on your profile Harry - I don't know how many times I've used them already, but they've been a lifesaver. 

There's not much left that you can measure, Wendigo.  The shaft is truncated, the sustentaculum is sheared off,  what's left is the peak with multiple facets (e.g. cuboid facet). The form of that peak is that of an artiodactyl, not a perissodactyl.

camelops_calcaneum.JPG.d7c21c957d6fc6e6fdc9cbaec3fd12fe.jpg.b1b468657dcf02d53e4b35fd55e4d933.jpg

calcaneaartiodactylsB.jpg

bison_bos_calc_A.JPG

bison_bos_calc_B.JPG

calcanea_horse_tapirB.JPG

calcanea_horse_tapirC.JPG

calcanea_horse_tapirD.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I second what Digit just said - that was an excellent explanation. Those pictures definitely cleared everything up, Harry. The limited amount of images of Equus calcaneums that I could find on the internet didn't properly display the surfaces found on the top of the peak of the bone. The facets that are meant to be there were obviously worn off a long time ago by the river I found the bone in, leading to my confusion. Thanks again!

By the way, is there any way to tell whether or not this is a right or a left calcaneum? 

21 minutes ago, digit said:

Thanks for the great calcaneum lesson, Harry!

Cheers.

-Ken

Should be able to "pin" or categorize for ease of access "Knowledge Threads".  i.e. here is the thread(s) to read if you want to understand or identify a fossil Calcaneum.

Harry provides excellent detail and an educational thread.

My only "add" would be :

5f1b0cc7506c4_Picture2006.thumb.jpg.8522da140b87873d6af641e5ca90ce93.jpg

Richw9030.JPG.8a8d24eac8a4f4676d7c42140470a494.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 weeks later...

@Harry Pristis

Harry, I found this a couple of months ago in a water site I consider mostly Miocene.  Slightly broken at 108 mm, it fits the profile of Bos and given the lack of water wear on the bone small details, I thought a cow walked into my hunting area.

But seeing this discussion made me go back and look again. It is really narrow (half the width of a finger), plus I am not sure that cow fits the articulations... but I have been wrong before..

IMG_5280.thumb.JPG.593dd78e49e70b4eee037ba00fcd1b39.JPGIMG_5281.thumb.JPEG.e113090b66904a1d86cd34d28a0e3da6.JPEGIMG_5282.thumb.JPEG.2dfcad0604ab01350de16b20e3d17f0b.JPEG

Not Cow... :thumbsu:

Found a Holmesina_floridanus calcaneum in an online posting by Prehistoric Florida  and then this in @calhounensis gallary: A first for me at 114 mm broken.