CH4ShotCaller

Dear Friends! 

My apologies for staying away for many years. Things change, life evolves.

Quick update: yes, I'm still alive, built a new house, nearly gave up on fossil hunts because of the restrictions. But! you can't keep someone's passion, especially fossil folks (we're stubborn like that) under lock and key forever.

Met several new friends, started taking longer hikes deeper into the field, hills and canyons. Studied and researched the geology of my region and drank lots of coffee. With the help of some friends, I started understanding the history better. The results have been rewarding. 

I found a new fossil that's being described as we speak and when published, will share with you. Here's my latest find, unprepped, an isopod. Only took 32 years to find one!

I will try to make more posts as new things come about. Fossil on!

LCF7.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Welcome back!

:yay-smiley-1:

We often see members re-appear here on the forum after protracted absences. Good to have you back in the fold. Looking forward to hearing about your fossil find that is soon to be published. We really encourage the cooperation between avocational fossil hunters and professional paleontologists. In fact, we have a section dedicated to these contributions. When the paper comes out we'd love to hear about it. I'm assuming the specimen was donated to an institution so they could publish on it so when you are ready it would be great to add your specimen to our gallery:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Please follow the format and guidelines below when posting in this topic:

Common or Scientific Name.

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age.

Region the fossil was found.

Museum or University that received the fossil.

A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution. Please include a link to the topic about your fossil (if available).

(attach your fossil photos here)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Scott !!!    :yay-smiley-1:

Welcome back, my friend.   :crab:

Glad to see you here - I've missed your input. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome back! I love isopods, cute little critters.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

20 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Scott !!!    :yay-smiley-1:

Welcome back, my friend.   :crab:

Glad to see you here - I've missed your input. :) 

It's great to be back, I have some fish fossils to share, sponges, whale vertebrae, agatized Aturia and more. Thanks!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

8 hours ago, digit said:

Welcome back!

:yay-smiley-1:

We often see members re-appear here on the forum after protracted absences. Good to have you back in the fold. Looking forward to hearing about your fossil find that is soon to be published. We really encourage the cooperation between avocational fossil hunters and professional paleontologists. In fact, we have a section dedicated to these contributions. When the paper comes out we'd love to hear about it. I'm assuming the specimen was donated to an institution so they could publish on it so when you are ready it would be great to add your specimen to our gallery:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Please follow the format and guidelines below when posting in this topic:

Common or Scientific Name.

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age.

Region the fossil was found.

Museum or University that received the fossil.

A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution. Please include a link to the topic about your fossil (if available).

(attach your fossil photos here)

Cheers.

-Ken

Indeed, I'll share the find and it may be a while. I have donated 'that' specimen to be studied. Oddly enough, I found it decades ago and nobody knew what it was. I finally met the right people and it's being described now... for years, since no one knew, I thought nothing of them and tossed a couple dozen in the garden. 

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

2 minutes ago, CH4ShotCaller said:

I finally met the right people

That's usually the turning point. I've had mystery fossils and I've heard of other unknowns that were suddenly "solved" by passing them by the right people. All it takes is the chance to show the right person the right fossil to solve a long-standing curiosity.

I well understand the delay between donating a fossil and seeing it described in a publication. When the paper comes out we'll all be eager to have a look.

Cheers.

-Ken

Good to see you here again, Scott! There is always a Pulalius within reach at my house to remind me of our trip.  I still owe you.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Where is an isopod on the rock? I'm sure there is, but I do not know how to recognize one.

Welcome back! I took a ten-year hiatus before coming back, lol.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, Darbi said:

Where is an isopod on the rock? I'm sure there is, but I do not know how to recognize one.

Welcome back! I took a ten-year hiatus before coming back, lol.

The dark brown is the critter, this is unprepared and damaged, I thought it was just another concretion. Cracked it with a hammer and I'm certain my facial expression was just like that child in the movie 'A Christmas Story' when he got the Red Ryder.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I agree with @Darbi in that I don't see it (but be clear, I am not doubting you). I would hate to split a rock and throw an isopod away thinking it is a brown spot on a rock. Any further explanation of what we are seeing is appreciated. Here is an image from fossilmall that I understand.  

Cretaceous Isopod Fossil 

Mike

No problem guys, I'll get some time soon to prepare the piece. I actually have another one that's smaller and has the tell tale signs. Pictures are great, but holding it in your hand allows better examination. I discovered today that they're much more fragile than most crab concretions I worked on.

• I found this Informative 2

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Bathynomus goedertorum

image.thumb.png.93c91209b82fbbfdda6d831459038cd3.png

figures from:

Wieder, R.W., Feldmann, R.M. 1989

Palaega goedertorum, A Fossil Isopod (Crustacea) from Late Eocene to Early Miocene Rocks of Washington State. Journal of Paleontology, 63(1):73-80

Martin, J.W., Kuck, H.G. 1990

Case 2721: Bathynomus A. Milne Edwards, 1879 (Crustacea, Isopoda): Proposed Precedence over Palaega Woodward, 1870. Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature, 47(1):27-29

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Bathynomus goedertorum

image.thumb.png.93c91209b82fbbfdda6d831459038cd3.png

figures from:

Wieder, R.W., Feldmann, R.M. 1989

Palaega goedertorum, A Fossil Isopod (Crustacea) from Late Eocene to Early Miocene Rocks of Washington State. Journal of Paleontology, 63(1):73-80

Martin, J.W., Kuck, H.G. 1990

Case 2721: Bathynomus A. Milne Edwards, 1879 (Crustacea, Isopoda): Proposed Precedence over Palaega Woodward, 1870. Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature, 47(1):27-29

Thanks! I personally know the gentleman this is named after, Palaega Goedertorum. 

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif