1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

You're showing off your find beautifully. That's a specimen you can be proud of!

Thanks so much! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven’t posted on this topic in a little while. I’ve been pretty busy lately. Got to do a little bit of prep tonight. 

Sunday, 8/16/20

D84CA9B1-1AE9-4E57-85BC-CE59BCF6D4B9.thumb.jpeg.bf8447dd0911e541ca9364885edb0449.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I have to say, I was completely clueless as to what this was. Never heard of it or seen one. After reading this thread, I looked it up. Dude, this one seems to be as good or better than many of the pics of these I saw. Great work on it!

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Nautiloid, a very interesting specimen indeed.  Only one thing bothers me.  Im a guy who likes the rock almost as much as the specimen.  Im wondering what kind of glue you are using?  It looks like it turns white? In my eye, that takes away from the specimen.   and my first prep tool was one of my wifes steak knives.  

RB

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, smokeriderdon said:

I have to say, I was completely clueless as to what this was. Never heard of it or seen one. After reading this thread, I looked it up. Dude, this one seems to be as good or better than many of the pics of these I saw. Great work on it!

Thanks so much! I’m quite proud of how it’s turned out thus far. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, RJB said:

Hi Nautiloid, a very interesting specimen indeed.  Only one thing bothers me.  Im a guy who likes the rock almost as much as the specimen.  Im wondering what kind of glue you are using?  It looks like it turns white? In my eye, that takes away from the specimen.   and my first prep tool was one of my wifes steak knives.  

RB

I’m using model car glue just to hold the cracks together while I’m prepping it. After I’m done with the prep I’ll be able to scrape it off without damaging the rock. 

9/16/2020
Today I had some free time so I decided to resume my work on this fossil. 

I’ve pretty much done all I can do with the carapace so now I’ve moved on to the telson. So far I’ve been mostly just clearing rock around the telson and I haven’t really made contact with it yet. 78737507-E206-486D-8382-E05E7ABD5C0E.thumb.jpeg.ec68d75de0b44c0c5e5b45e169c2a4c2.jpeg

You should probably use cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) instead. You can dissolve the excess with acetone when you’re done.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

You should probably use cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) instead. You can dissolve the excess with acetone when you’re done.

Alright I’ll do that instead from this point forward. Thanks for the info!

Yesterday I was able to prep around the telson a little bit more. I finally made contact with the actual fossil which is a relief!248EFD39-1C7A-4C7F-9557-E9366024D79F.thumb.jpeg.c55706901124eaac34259473ff3a9b88.jpeg