DatFossilBoy

Does anyone know Swiss fossil sites?

DatFossilBoy

Hey guys, 

A bit of an unusual post: I’m looking to go hunting in Switzerland since I often stay there but I don’t know any fossil sites.

I’m looking for vertebrate sites in Switzerland (like shark teeth) and fossil sites around my area (Valais).

If any member knows some sites and have experience , please share, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the help and kind regards.

jpc

I have been trying to find vertebrate sites in CH via the internet and published papers but have not had much luck.  A cousin of mine in the Jura once showed me some shark teeth he found but couldn't remember where he found them.  The Quarry at Frick has a scrap pile that is open to collecting and you just might find a dinosaur bone, but mostly it is inverts.  Monte San Giorgio is NOT open to collecting.  And I know nothing about the Valais, although another cousin lives there.  

DatFossilBoy
9 hours ago, jpc said:

I have been trying to find vertebrate sites in CH via the internet and published papers but have not had much luck.  A cousin of mine in the Jura once showed me some shark teeth he found but couldn't remember where he found them.  The Quarry at Frick has a scrap pile that is open to collecting and you just might find a dinosaur bone, but mostly it is inverts.  Monte San Giorgio is NOT open to collecting.  And I know nothing about the Valais, although another cousin lives there.  

Thank you for your help

pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

@jpc pretty much said it all. I've been to Monte San Giorgio, and there's a walking path around the mountain we didn't take. Could be that there's some loose fossils that have fallen out of the rock there. But, as said, collecting is not allowed and the chance of any fossil having weathered out of the rock would be so slim anyway, that it wouldn't be worth making the trip unless to visit the excellent museum in Merida (Swiss side of the mountain). There's also a museum on the Italian side, which exhibits casts of theropod remains that were found in the region (originals in Milan), but the museum is much smaller and has less information provision - generally less professionally managed - than its Swiss counterpart.

Frick also has a nice museum, with plenty of Plateosaurus remains, as well as rare theropod remains. The quarry where these fossils were found is, again, not open to collecting, though (even if there doesn't appear to be a fence or any supervision on weekend days). However, some old museum collection fossils have been dumped in an area next to the quarry and are free to collect, with some big boulders appearing to have come from the quarry itself. The boulders are extremely hard, though, and I'm not sure whether they'd come from the correct layer to find dinosaur bones (my impression was they weren't). Not much in terms of vertebrate fossils, but a nice opportunity to pick up some free better quality (and already prepped) invertebrate remains - including ammonites, nautilids, crinoids and shells. I did pick up a nice piece that included various Gryphea sp. on the one hand and a giant clam on the other - that, other than for the matrix, could've come straight from Lyme Regis - but have no sense of chronology, and this was more or less the nicest piece I picked up there...

taj

Switzerland seems to be quite rich in terms of fossils . Callovian stuff ( not only Anvil ) seems to be quite accessible  , as by what I can see on FB ...

pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Should have a look on FB too then, I guess, as I'm located close enough to make an occasional excursion there as well. My first impression would indeed be that there's plenty to be found, but just hard to find out where...