Does anyone know who I can contact to get fossils found in SC I.Ded?

PrehistoricWonders

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone knew someone from a college or museum that I could contact to ask if they can I.D my associated shark vertebrae? TIA, have a great day!

Thank you! I plan on messaging him about it, and if he wants to see it in person I will definitely stop by, definitely will try and stop by!

5 hours ago, jpc said:

Looks like you are in New Jersey... next time you go to South Carolina, try the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston

Our own Boesse is The Man there.  

i messaged him, thank you!:thumbsu:

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

If you are asking about ID of shark material Dr Bretton Kent is one of the foremost experts on them.  

https://entomology.umd.edu/kent-bretton-w.html

I just messaged him!

4 hours ago, TyBoy said:

One of my favorite books to aid in identification of shark teeth

comes from Kent

images.thumb.jpeg.da179df8a74c886e7a50df85313aaa50.jpeg

its a string of shark vertabrae, not a tooth, but I did message him, and I might also get that book! Thank you all so much for the replies! Have a good night.

I asked @Boesse and he hasn’t responded yet, but I also asked Bretton W. Kent and he said that his best guess is that it’s from a Carcharhinus, but that I could also be from Negaprion or Sphyrna, the reason he thinks it’s Carcharhinus is because 1. He doesn’t remember Negaprion teeth coming from the chandler bridge formation, and 2. Negaprion and Sphyrna tend to be slightly longer, and mine are more consistent with Carcharhinus. Thank you, to everyone who helped, I’m so glad that I got it I.Ded!!!:D

• I found this Informative 1

I find identifying vertebrae without associated teeth to be a bit of a "black art". That being said, there are Sphyrna, Galeocerdo, Carcharhinus, and Hemipristis teeth aplenty in the Chandler Bridge. If they're the verts I'm thinking of, they looked Galeocerdo-like to me, but based only on size and carcharhiniform morphology... I refrained from making an ID though.

2 minutes ago, Boesse said:

I find identifying vertebrae without associated teeth to be a bit of a "black art". That being said, there are Sphyrna, Galeocerdo, Carcharhinus, and Hemipristis teeth aplenty in the Chandler Bridge. If they're the verts I'm thinking of, they looked Galeocerdo-like to me, but based only on size and carcharhiniform morphology... I refrained from making an ID though.

These are my verts, I’m not sure if they’re the one you are thinking of, but these are the ones that I’ve got, Bretton W. Kent said that he didn’t think they were Galeocerdo because they didn’t have the distinctive large, encircling pores of Galeocerdo centra. These are the pictures I showed him.

BC104E9C-FC12-49DB-BA13-81A5EB2061C0.jpeg

77D22671-6D6F-46C4-B877-288F6711221F.jpeg

786D5BBE-C9D7-48AA-8AE7-A9F3E040EE81.jpeg

3175FA57-9E4C-40E5-9CE3-30A17B3BE054.jpeg

Oh! No I had a separate ID request from someone else this week. snargeit, sorry I didn't respond! I've been away from my computer quite a bit the last 48 hours, sorry about that!

3 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Oh! No I had a separate ID request from someone else this week. snargeit, sorry I didn't respond! I've been away from my computer quite a bit the last 48 hours, sorry about that!

Its fine, I wasn’t blaming you or trying too be rood, just wanted to make sure that we were talking about the same verts, glad I posted the pics! Can I see the other verts you were talking about?

David Hoppe posted pics of them all over the place on facebook yesterday, and now I'm all fouled up and can't remember what these are supposed to be (Calvert Fm., though): image.thumb.png.8812281b5de81417e14877ec67dfca7f.png

23 minutes ago, Boesse said:

David Hoppe posted pics of them all over the place on facebook yesterday, and now I'm all fouled up and can't remember what these are supposed to be (Calvert Fm., though): image.thumb.png.8812281b5de81417e14877ec67dfca7f.png

I was messaging him yesterday(he was one of the ones that suggested you too me) I’d seen that one, he said that it was hemipristis Serra, is that the one you thought I was talking about? 

@HoppeHunting perhaps you can share your conversation with Brett Kent here

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, Familyroadtrip said:

i messaged him, thank you!:thumbsu:

I just messaged him!

its a string of shark vertabrae, not a tooth, but I did message him, and I might also get that book! Thank you all so much for the replies! Have a good night.

I know its not a tooth but Kent is knowledgeable on all maters associated with extinct sharks.  

25 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

I know its not a tooth but Kent is knowledgeable on all maters associated with extinct sharks.  

Thank you, I asked Kent and he said they are most likely Carcharhinus sp. but they could be Sphyrna! I’m very happy to have an I.D!!!

• I found this Informative 1