Big Brook finds- need ID

AllisonD

Hello! We were at Big Brook today and my son found this. Not sure what it is (if anything) and I cannot find any thing similar on the Big Brook websites. We also found some teeth and what might be a hadrosaur tooth fragment (second image). Can anyone confirm the hadrosaur tooth?

E63CA83D-6382-4E59-9FE1-AB86BD917BC9.jpeg

Not sure about the first picture, but in the second, all the way to the left are bellamnites and I’m pretty sure the teeth in the middle are goblin shark teeth, I’ve got no clue what the one on the right is, it almost looks like a ray plate but I’ve never seen one that complete from NJ if it is one. 

Better pics with more angles would help with the two I couldn’t identify.

Hi Allison,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't recognize any dinosaur teeth in your second photograph. The two fragments on the left are belemnites, the silicate skeleton of an extinct type of cephalopod that looked like a cuttlefish. The middle set of fossils look like sharks' teeth to me, though I can't tell you what species -may be someone else on the forum with better knowledge on the subject will be able to help you out on that if you post some clearer pictures of them... No idea what the fossil at the top right is; better photographs would be needed. As it is, it could be shell, coral, dental plate of a ray, or fragment of ammonite shell... Various online sites - easily found on Google, such as this one: https://www.fossilguy.com/sites/bbrook/bbrook_col.htm - should be able to help you come to determinations yourself.

The item in your first photograph is a bit of an enigma to me, though, as I don't really recognize the shape. Since there still seems some matrix attached, it looks like fossil to me, bone if I'd had to guess. However, it could also be wood. A better, more close-up, photograph, especially the endings, would be needed to get a better impression of the piece. However, from what I can see now - the groove filled with matrix in the middle and shiny ridges along the top - seem suggestive of a dentary/lower jaw to me. Most likely mammal, in that case. The odd thing is, though, that if this were to be the case, I'd expect the jaw to either be straight, or curve the opposite direction...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Not sure about the first picture, but in the second, all the way to the left are bellamnites and I’m pretty sure the teeth in the middle are goblin shark teeth, I’ve got no clue what the one on the right is, it almost looks like a ray plate but I’ve never seen one that complete from NJ if it is one. 

Yeah, ray plate also seemed the most likely option to me, for the top right find...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I do not think the item 

21 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Yeah, ray plate also seemed the most likely option to me, for the top right find...

The item does not look like any ray plate that I have seen. But a good clear close-up  is needed to either confirm or deny that.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

And here is a picture of what might be a ray plate. Thank you for looking at them for me! 

86977C12-1C15-4829-9C9A-60AB6AA69CF8.jpeg

315E2A14-AF08-4988-8A5E-E4418B942145.jpeg

Hi,

As far as I know, stripe teeth of this kind don't have small stripes perpendicular to large stripes. It makes me think more of a shell part.

Coco
  • I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

24 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

As far as I know, stripe teeth of this kind don't have small stripes perpendicular to large stripes. It makes me think more of a shell part.

Coco

9 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

From that view, I agree with @Coco,

I still have no idea on the other one!

Based on the new photographs, definitely a shell fragment for the second piece from me too.

As to the first item, no idea. I'm dropping my jaw hypothesis, as what ai thought might be teeth clearly aren't. Much rather it now looks to me like a bone with a piece of shrivelled up skin still attached to it... I mean, I don't see any matrix, there appears to be a stick-like core with some thin, irregular sheet folded up around it... Odd piece :o Would be interesting to see what it is, if someone manages to figure it out :P

Thanks everyone! It was our first time to Big Brook and we can’t wait to go back. 

Edited by AllisonD