Indonesian Meg

I‘m planning to buy my first indonesian meg. Since all sellers ar saying theire teeth are real without resto and repair I‘m pretty skeptical. Would be nice to get some opions on the following teeth. Thanks

286D395A-FBD1-47F7-A7BB-3FAF5C167AE6.jpeg

4D7517CE-6CE2-4285-832D-B67CEE6BF2E3.jpeg

4D6ADC01-0B28-417A-82D8-F8EF46449742.jpeg

3FB0A057-B90B-4D47-B1E1-97DB492FABF7.jpeg

F4DA6F78-6892-4ACD-BBE1-1EEB4338EBE9.jpeg

9428D231-F4FB-45B5-BCE2-807830144DA4.jpeg

EFD25837-D33E-4FB2-92DB-ACDEACC54419.jpeg

ADF08CAF-668E-4001-8683-D37D8B6E7745.jpeg

First one, real, but root shaped from matrix (you can see where it was grinded), has root erosion, but probably they didn't have tools to prep it nice and they just grinded.

Second one, real, has root erosion, on the labial side what you are looking at is eroded root, covered by shaped matrix. 

Third one, real, tip damage, darker area on the root is root, lighter area (whiteish) is eroded root (acid erosion, holes in the root covered by matrix).

Technically all 3 natural (if the roots don't bother you), should be cheap, don't be skeptical, there's tons of real megs (and not all resellers restore and paint), but most of what's coming out now has similar root issues. All land found teeth have mostly nice blades like that and the next ones you see will have just about as nice enamel and gum. Expect colors to dull a bit. Read this: 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks a lot for your precious feedback. I think I will buy one or two if the price is good.

3 hours ago, RickNC said:

Something about them just doesn't look right.

I can't put my finger on it either. When I first saw the thread, I thought maybe it looked a little too shiny or the black vertical grooves down the front looked a little too drawn on. That pertains to the first tooth, anyway; the rest looked fine to me.

Roots  are the thing that make it not look right. Perhaps. 

little too shiny or the black vertical grooves down the front looked a little too drawn on

Those "black vertical groovers" are mineralized hydration cracks. Shine - pretty much how the enamel looks on all land found teeth. 

They do fake/restore damaged areas sometimes and paint on the blade or gum, but in this case not. I hope you got one or two at a decent price, resellers "made sure" the prices went up already also in Indonesia and now you would probably already be overpaying in regards to condition. But collectors are used to that, there's plenty of overpriced junk-commercial grade floating around, and as I can see in the next post people consider that decent price.

Before any admins delete this - not talking about actual values and it's just an opinion.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

Roots  are the thing that make it not look right. Perhaps. 

Those "black vertical groovers" are mineralized hydration cracks. Shine - pretty much how the enamel looks on all land found teeth. 

They do fake/restore damaged areas sometimes and paint on the blade or gum, but in this case not. I hope you got one or two at a decent price, resellers "made sure" the prices went up already also in Indonesia and now you would probably already be overpaying in regards to condition. But collectors are used to that, there's plenty of overpriced junk-commercial grade floating around, and as I can see in the next post people consider that decent price.

Before any admins delete this - not talking about actual values and it's just an opinion.

Hmm, I had no idea. I've mostly handled Megalodon teeth found offshore, which may explain why I don't recognize that glimmer.