Mineral Wells Fossil Id

Dantheman135

I was at mineral wells fossil park for the first time recently and was sorting some the finds today. I found 3 fossils that I could use some help IDing. #1 I believe is a Crinoid calyx. #2 is a crinoid but it has a weird growth on the side of the it. #3 also appears to be a Crinoid but it is full of holes. There’s no apparent pattern to them and they are on all sides of it. All holes are roughly uniform in size in shape. I can post more photos of any of them. Thanks for any help.

E61F18DB-B1CC-44B8-98F8-4B1EE05D7ED1.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Dantheman135 said:

I was at mineral wells fossil park for the first time recently and was sorting some the finds today. I found 3 fossils that I could use some help IDing. #1 I believe is a Crinoid calyx. #2 is a crinoid but it has a weird growth on the side of the it. #3 also appears to be a Crinoid but it is full of holes. There’s no apparent pattern to them and they are on all sides of it. All holes are roughly uniform in size in shape. I can post more photos of any of them. Thanks for any help.

E61F18DB-B1CC-44B8-98F8-4B1EE05D7ED1.jpeg

They are borings on a crinoid stem by an unknown organism. See similar bored stem from Kansas Pennsylvanian rocks. Photo by Randomguy1.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/92969-byrozoan-of-some-sort/&tab=comments#comment-1024213

B6FB4184-4165-4BD7-B702-874BD237A989.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Nice specimens.These borings are generally assigned to the ichnogenera Tremichnus or Oichnus

• I found this Informative 2

I’ve always been fascinated by these ichno fossils. There are actually quite a variety of borings and galls. Look for borings like these on crinoid cups.

2B82DDED-629C-4D60-B403-80349B1528C6.jpeg

I don't think anyone confirmed your ID on the calyx but that is correct. There are quite a few genera on the fauna list for the Keechi Creek Shale so it would be hard say which one. I can't say I've seen a stem bore with something sticking out of it before. If you could get a close-up of that from different angles I would like to get some opinions on it.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the new photos. Maybe someone will recognize it. There was someone who was studying crinoid parasites and asking for material to help. I will try to figure out who it was.