ID Florida Vertebrate Fossil

RescueMJ

Hello, East Venice, FL vertebrate mystery fossil.  Unique indentation in V shape. Found in Pleistocene material. Cracked by tractor.  Recent material identified in same location as: Sloth, Equus, Meg teeth.  I realize it is not the best specimen but the V shape on one side is unique.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions/identification.  I didn't see an example in the gallery or textbook.

IMG_7699.jpg.e93249b8767a8315050b64f6759e57c0.jpgIMG_7702.jpg.9255db9c2ec703c2f2f3c6f85bcc3994.jpgIMG_7701.jpg.5793c880b1d74ea7340da30a82dcad81.jpg Height is 5cm

IMG_7704.jpg.e5dea675eec86faccd1986b65fe6ba9c.jpgIMG_7698.jpg.98e71cbe0416b43019c743c81dc268b0.jpgIMG_7700.jpg.cd57f3620eb76ddce030af948daf304a.jpg

From the photographs you've provided, the V-shaped part looks to be a broken surface and not representative of the external shape of the fossil. Even if it were the external surface, I do not think this fragment is identifiable. It could be a fragment of a vertebra.

58 minutes ago, Boesse said:

From the photographs you've provided, the V-shaped part looks to be a broken surface and not representative of the external shape of the fossil. Even if it were the external surface, I do not think this fragment is identifiable. It could be a fragment of a vertebra.

I was thinking something along the lines of the epiphysis of an arm or leg bone, seeing as the only bit of cortex I was able to spot has lengthwise striations running perpendicular to a fosse that itself, however, is curved around a third axis. Best to point it out on the photograph:

5f1eff7d3e2b9_unidentifiedbone.jpg.7f67f252682a1c147d4aeddec88ae183.jpg

This reminds me of striations on a femoral neck, for instance as shown below on the femoral necks of two human femurs in the Museum of London collection, or that of Mammuthus columbi from the Charleston Museum.

3239465304_5fe033849a_k.jpg

Having a kind of V-shape would match with the expectations for a femoral head. As another example:

@Boesse is probably right in the bone being too fragmentary for further identification (for starters, I find it very difficult to form a mental image of the bone...). Although, assuming that this would indeed be a femur, you could start looking around and comparing with such images as below, which Google tells me are ground sloth femurs (though not familiar with the species at all, your fragment simply looks rather flat and bulky, which I thought might fit best with ground sloth):

v47TQ6Dk4keJ0XMtJsLUQQ-j78z35P_0qFtt2hfLRMLgAByPVPUpF1bqJLBy7dxyMrlihjGxAt9MVHyscOZDbZxHcMg6AE3i75ATXRbFgj6qRLG-5dniMDyXwire-685887-1496367914-210_634x475.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks for your time.  I found another piece within 20 yards that Dr. Hulbert identified as most likely Ground Sloth. That fossil is on the forum as  

ID 45mm thick fossil (posted July 22).

11 minutes ago, RescueMJ said:

Thanks for your time.  I found another piece within 20 yards that Dr. Hulbert identified as most likely Ground Sloth. That fossil is on the forum as  

ID 45mm thick fossil (posted July 22).

Hard to say what this other part may be, but the pitted side to me again suggests an articulation surface. Could be the same bone. If not, could be that the tractor uncovered part of a larger skeleton. Might be worth going back there and checking for more. Might not be very recognizable, but still a very nice find!

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett