Where are some good fossil spots in Florida?

AstroRaptor56

I’m going to college in south Florida, near West Palm Beach, and I really like go out and find fossils. I was wondering where the best spots in Florida are and if any were near me. I’d be willing to drive fairly far but the closer the better for sure. Thank you for any helpful replies!

Unfortunately, the better fossil hunting sites are on the west coast of Florida.

Do a search of the Forum for Florida localities. 

This website has very old information, that is more than likely no longer accurate, but it does say you can finds some things in Palm Beach County. 

Good luck. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've never hunted Florida, but have researched it extensively because I was meant to before international travel was essentially banned.

What are you looking for? Many of the sites in Florida have shark and mammal material. You might look into Peace River, one of the most popular sites in the state. Beaches in Venice are a good bet, for instance Caspersen and I believe Manasota Key, if you're after shark teeth.

3 hours ago, AstroRaptor56 said:

I’m going to college in south Florida, near West Palm Beach, and I really like go out and find fossils. I was wondering where the best spots in Florida are and if any were near me. I’d be willing to drive fairly far but the closer the better for sure. Thank you for any helpful replies!

Peace River is the first and foremost fossil spot in Florida. You will find Miocene, Pliocene, and Pleistocene fossils intermingled in the Peace and the surrounding Bone Valley area. Everything from Miocene marine fauna like megalodon to Pleistocene megafauna like mammoth and mastodon. There are other fossil-hunting spots scattered around Florida, these include the fossilferous creeks around Gainesville (further north and away from you than the Peace). Fossils can be found further south in your neck of the woods, but I have no experience down around that area.

Generally speaking, river fossil hunting season in south Florida runs from late fall to late spring - about October/November until April/May. This is when the rivers are safest to search.

• I found this Informative 1